The Goth and His Psycho: [Chapter Two]

Alex retreated to the library like he did every lunchtime, not to read exactly, although that is what he spent most of his time doing, either that or drawing, but he did it because he was safe there. Dylan and his crew rarely came in to beat on him, and when they did Alex always slipped away. He knew the library like the back of his hand, considering it was large and confusing and he’d spent almost every day of his High School years there. 

  So he sat on a windowsill and dragged out his sketchbook to add some shading to his recent creation. What looked like a demon, well, a female one anyway. With long blonde hair and glowing green eyes, a vicious smile, a ripped dress and claws that dripped blood. The demon seemed somehow familiar to him, but he couldn’t think how. It wasn’t until halfway through the lunch period, did he hear the whispers. He frowned as he looked up, the library was huge, and people knew this was where he always sat, and people liked to avoid him, if the popular group doesn’t like someone, you don’t like that someone, else you get beat on too.

  Alex sighed as he realised what he would do, and he was already packing up his stuff to eavesdrop when he heard his name being whispered. He abandoned his belongings and crept his way to the end of the bookcase, sticking his head round the corner. 

  “She’d been friends with that Alex kid, right?” someone was asking, their voice hushed.

  “Shut up!” came another voice, a female’s Alex thought “You know he likes to come in here, he could be anyway” the voice sounded almost fearful, and it made Alex frown, he knew he was a loner, but he was nice to people who were nice to him, he was never nasty enough to seem scary. 

  “Come on, Lucy” the other voice was a male’s for sure, the patronizing tone was unmistakable “He’s tiny, and just because she was a psycho doesn’t mean he is” the boy said. Alex struggled to hear more, but their voices kept zoning in and out. 

  “Yeah, but what if he gets her to kill everyone that ever picked on him?” Alex could almost picture the girl shudder. 

  “The police don’t even know where she is” the male voice was patronizing again.

  “But they think she’ll come back here, where else would she go other than home?” the girl demanded, Alex wanted desperately to know who they were talking about now. 

  “I dunno Lucy” the boy snapped this time, obviously getting annoyed “But there’s no point worrying over it, she may be crazy, but you saw the picture of her, she’s tiny, no doubt abused in that shit hole of a hospital, even you’d be able to knock her on her ass” the boy chuckled, seeming preoccupied. 

  “She killed two of the inmates while she was there, Chad” Lucy was quiet, obviously scared “And she killed four nurses on her way out. I think she could take someone like me” the girl practically whimpered, and Alex edged around the bookcase as he heard a heavy sigh come from Chad, who he knew to be on the football team.

  “Come on babe,” Alex cringed at the name boys often gave girls “That’s not going to happen, I’ll protect you” Alex rolled his eyes, and fought the urge to gag. 

  He still had no idea who they were talking about, they must have been talking about a different Alex, he turned away dismissively, when Chad’s next sentence stopped him cold. 

  “Bree Treven isn’t going to get you, I promise” Chad’s voice was obviously meant to be comforting for Lucy, but the effect it had on Alex was instantaneous.

  He stumbled as if he’d been punched, and had to lean heavily against the book cases, panting hard as his mind whirled. Bree. He’d tried so hard to forget the name, the face. But he couldn’t, at that moment everything came rushing back to him, the memories, Jesus, the memories hurt so bad.