The Goth and His Psycho: [Chapter Seventeen]

“Are you okay?” Alex asked hesitantly, he was sat in the front seat of his mother’s car, Bree sat beside him in the passenger seat, her eyes cast down at her legs. 

  “Fine” she said, but her voice was flat, emotionless. Alex has learned that this tone of voice was when she was definitely not okay, and he reached towards her automatically, but as soon as her eyes saw his hand, she jerked back. 

  “Bree-” 

  “Can we just go?” she asked, not looking at him “Just forget it, Pansy” 

  Alex sighed, but knew she wouldn’t speak to him if he forced, so he turned and flicked the car on, pulling out of the driveway with ease. 

  He set off down the road, not actually sure of where they were heading. 

  “Where do you want to go?” he asked, forcing lightness into his tone. Bree glanced up, almost grudgingly. 

  “I don’t mind” she shrugged, her green eyes were dulled. 

  “Well, we could go to the cinema. Or the aquarium is still open nearby. We could go to dinner, there’s a really nice restaurant in the middle of town, it serves great food but the cook is really horrible so you have to be really nice to him or else he’ll spit in your food…” he trailed off when he realised Bree wasn’t listening, he knew he was babbling, he could feel her unease and hated it. 

  “Lets go to the cinema” she said after a few moments, “Is there anything good on?” 

  “We can see when we get there, whatever you want” he smiled, glad she’d said anything at all. 

  They drove in silence, Bree staring gloomily out her window, Alex hands became tighter and tighter on the steering wheel until his knuckles turned white and his hands cramped up. He flexed them quickly, then reached over to flick on the radio, uncomfortable with the heavy silence. A pop song was grating through the speakers, and after only about ten seconds Bree reached over with a grunt and switched it off. 

  Alex glanced at her, eyebrows raised incredulously, and when she looked over at him, she shrugged, and a small smile tugged involuntarily at her mouth. 

  “I hate Taylor Swift” she offered with a shrug. 

  He looked away, lips quirking into a smile. 

***

  “So, what shall it be?” Alex asked, they were stood in the lobby of the cinema, looking up at the screenings. 

  “What are the options?” Bree’s voice was oblivious. 

  “Well, there’s a horror, a fantasy, a crime thriller, or a chick flick” he caught the expression on her face and said quickly; “No chick flick” 

  “No chick flick” she agreed with a serious nod, then she glanced up at him and smiled. He smiled back at her hastily, and she chuckled. 

  “What’s the horror about?” she asked. 

  “A girl is possessed by a demon and basically kills everyone she knows” 

  “Well, no need to see it now, you’ve told me everything” she glared at him playfully, and he smirked. “What’s the fantasy about?” 

  “It’s called Jack the Giant Slayer.” he said, as if this would explain everything, “It’s based on Jack and the Giant Beanstalk” 

  “I’m supposed to know what that is?” she raised a fair eyebrow at him.