17 | shouldn't have left here in the first place, leaving wont fix your problems

Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Get By (Real Friends)

"you really shouldn't have left here in the first place, when are you coming back? leaving won't fix your problems."

John B and I stood silently on my deck, the soft zephyr from the nearby sea wafting towards us. Summer was coming to a close, and the nights were getting colder. In just a few weeks we would all be back in school. I was wrapped in one of John B's sweaters that he had left under my bed after sneaking out one morning. John pulled me close, gently running his hand up and down my back.

Down on the beach, Vittoria and Barry were running around an chasing each other with water guns, a few beer cans scattered around them. Lately I felt like I was having to step up and be the older sister, so it was nice to see Vittoria enjoying herself for once. It took responsibility off my shoulders for a minute.

I smiled to myself, tapping my chipped nails on the wooden railing. "It's really over? They're gonna leave us alone."

"I mean, we all know how ransom works. We didn't pay it, so I'm assuming they'll kill Favio and that's going to be the end." John B laughed, pecking me on the forehead.

"Johnny!" I hissed, slapping him in the arm " We didn't want Favio to die, but it's not like it would be any different. I'd just feel responsible even though it was his fault."

"Hey, stop thinking about it. He's not our problem any more, and you were happier without him."

"You're right." I nodded, pecking him softly on the lips.

A sweet smile on my face, I pulled down the zipper on the sweater just enough that John B could see the lace on my bra. "They're having a bit of fun." I said, giggling slightly at the awestruck expression on John B's face. "So I think we should be able to as well."

Grinning widely, we stumbled and tripe our way into my bedroom, probably waking up half the house while we were at it. Laughing, I reached for the phone I had just plugged in as we sat on my bed, John B practically yanking the zipper on my hoodie.

Connecting to my wireless speaker, I put on 'This is Chase Atlantic' at a quiet, sensual volume. We were gonna do this right.

"Do you want the fairy lights?" I chuckled, running my hand along the shelf that had the switch for the tiny flashing lights. "It's the closest thing I've got to rose petals and candles."

John B chuckled. "Romantic. I mean, it's no different to me."

I smiled "Fairy lights it is."

John B and I had gone about this whole relationship thing wrong from the get go, opting for late night hook ups and secrecy, no strings attached. Until, of course, strings became attached.

But I think we're gonna be fine.

Sometimes life has a funny way of working out. A strange way of bringing the people that you care about into your life. But it always has a way of bringing you exactly who you need, exactly when you need them there. I guess it's true when they say life is like a box of chocolates. I never would have guessed what I was going to get.

It was on a night just like this one that all our troubles had begun, and it was on this very night that they got so much worse for all of us.

The crash this time was followed by a gunshot, my mom's yelling muffled from the downstairs. John B's head shot up from it's position between my legs as he looked around frantically.

"What the fuck was that?"

I shook my head, sitting bolt upright. "No idea, but it can't have been good. Toss me that robe, would you?"

Pulling my old floral robe around my body, John B and I rushed downstairs, Vittoria and Barry following closely behind, also in their varying states of disarray.

"Mom?!" Vittoria shouted "Is everything okay?"

There was another brick sitting in our living room, a bullet hole through the display case where Nonna kept her fine China, a shattered tea saucer and half a shattered plate left in it's wake.

"My blue willow plates." Nonna looked close to tears. "Emmanuele bought those for me."

Mom padded over to the brick, carefully unfurling the yellowed note paper. Exact same as last time, same handwriting too.

"I thought you told them to fuck off." I said quietly.

"We did." Barry spoke, getting defensive

"What does it say?" Vittoria asked, voice shaky. It didn't take much to rattle Vittoria, but Sangue were doing a really good job.

Nonna took the note paper from my mom, carefully unfolding it. Her eyes widened and by the time she made it to the end of the page, her hands were shaking. "Isabella, I think it's time we got the police involved."

"Why? What's happened?" I prodded.

"I don't think the kids should be involved in this anymore. We shouldn't be involved in this anymore."

"Mom, what is it?" My mom pressed, reaching for the note paper

"They have Pope."