Prologue

(Listen while reading)

Just... run... a... little... longer! Hello, I'm Nathan!... And I'm running for dear life... In the dead of the night. "Have we *huff* lost them?!" I exclaimed.

"No! They're *gasp* right behind us!" Maya yelled back.

I looked back. Sure enough, our chasers were right on our tails. "Nathan! Watch out! Dead end!" Emily screamed. I tried skidding to a halt, but succeeded I did not and my face slammed into the alley wall.

Ow.... That really freaking hurt! I held my bloody nose as I got up. Pain buzzed through my head as I stared up at the opposing wall. Oh. Just great. Exactly what we needed right now. "We need a diversion... I'll distract them while the rest of you get away," I dictated. Wow... That's the first time I've ever offered to do something heroic...

"What?! And let you get killed?! No way, Nathan," Emily rejected.

"Yeah, we stick together," Max added.

I was so moved by my friends' loyalty, that I almost cried... Almost.

"Besides, you probably would be only able to distract them for a second before you messed up," Maya predicted, grinning. I shot a glare at her.

"Oh, wow, thanks for the support," I answered.

"Anytime," she responded, dismissively.

"Fine. We'll stay together. But we need a plan. Any ideas?" I asked.

"I think I have one. Let me just sort it out," Max replied.

"All right, we can wait... sorta."

💰💰💰

Pardon for interrupting, but this is the perfect place to pause the story for a sec. No, wait, you can't "pause" a book... I guess just stop reading‒No! Wait! Don't close the book!

What my crazy friend is trying to say is "Pay attention to us".

I don't need you to talk for me.

Well, you were taking forever and almost lost our reader.

Hmph.

Anywho... Sorry about that. We two jokesters are the narrators.

Hello, I'm TheWritingWarrior14.

And I'm Nathan. Yes, the guy in the story.

Why did I stop the story again?

You were going to introduce me... But I'll do it now that I'm here. Are you thinking "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!"? If you are, great! That means I've got you hooked.

We've got you hooked.

Right, anyways... As I've mentioned, my name's Nathan. I'm currently sixteen, but this story takes place when I'm fourteen-years-old. I live in Locust Point, Baltimore, Maryland... You could say I'm rich, I guess... I'm not getting into the details, but let's just say that my dad has the biggest mansion in a neighborhood of rich people.

I don't recall agreeing to letting you do the talking.

Too late. Notice how I'm using past tense?

Is that question to me?

What? No!

Well excuse me.

Okay, as I was saying, the reason I'm using past tense is because I changed. I'm not like that anymore. At least, I hope so.

You're still a bit bossy.

Hey! Anyways, back to the present... Or the past. Or whatever you prefer to call it. On with the story! 

Thanks for reading! (This is TheWritingWarrior14 BTW, obviously.) Please vote and comment if you liked this. Thank you!