Chapter 5 - The Journey

6 days later

Chaol

We rise at dawn and pack up our camp before continuing on to Orynth. Our journey has been slow due to the need for guards and a small carriage to carry the children. I glance around from on top of my dappled grey horse to see how everyone else is faring. Beside me ride Dorian and my eldest daughter Josefin, while Aislinn and Asterin ride in the carriage just behind us as they're only 6 years old. Josefin catches me looking at her and smiles, her eyes sparkling with her joy of riding despite the long hours on the road. Yrene and Josefin are mirror images of each other except that our daughter has my bronze eyes. Aislinn resembles both me and my wife with a bob of chestnut hair, tan skin and bronze eyes, and the bone structure and fluidity of movement of Yrene. Both children have Yrene's healing powers but Josefin has it stronger despite being born in the aftermath of the war when Yrene had near exhausted her powers each day to heal the citizens of Erilea.

Less than ten minutes in, Asterin starts throwing a tantrum over how she can't find her stuffed wyvern toy. Dorian throws an exasperated glance my way before dismounting from his chestnut brown horse to talk to his witchling. Asterin is trouble, she always has been. She inherited both her mother's Ironteeth and Crochan abilities, and some of her father's magic, so has given them a run for their money since she was born. From afar Asterin looks like a miniature Manon but get closer and you can see that her golden eyes have small specks of saphire running through them. Unlike Dorian, Asterin doesn't have raw magic but instead she has a mix of shape shifting, wind, and ice powers that she has already nearly mastered like the other court children thanks to the extensive training.

After a delay of 20 minutes where Asterin demands that every single trunk and suitcase be searched through to find her Wyvern, it turns out that she had lent it to Aislinn to keep hold of so it's in the carriage right where we left it. We finally start to move down the dusty road, trees looming on either side of us as leave the small clearing where we stayed for the night.

"Dad why are we travelling all the way up to see Aunt Aelin just to stay there for a few days?" Josefin asks after a few miles of silence, "It literally takes over a week to get there."

"Because Josie, if something is seriously wrong with her then she'll need us, and mum had to travel there to help.You know that the further away we are from her, the harder it is for her magic to work. And that can hurt both me and mum. Also, We're sick of staying inside the castle."

"True, but why did Asterin and Aislinn have to come? They easily could of stayed at home with Uncle Dorian."

Before I can answer, Dorian pitches in from her other side, "Josie, do our really think leaving Manon alone in Terrasen with only Aelin, Rowan and Yrene to keep her company is a good idea?"

"She has Abraxos."

"All the more reason not to leave her alone." Dorian chuckles, " I saw her pack a bowtie and waistcoat for him, that spells trouble."

Josefin bursts out laughing, smile stretched across her wind flushed face, "She packed a bowtie for Abraxos?" Dorian chuckles in response.

Unlike when Aelin and the others were travelling to Terrasen and couldn't be seen by anyone, we can stick to the much quicker main track. Since the war we have been able to build a road leading straight to Aelin's kingdom, with stops along the way to set up camp, and shops to buy supplies. As we ride through one small village the locals spot our small group, recognise us immediately and wave, cheer, and smile. Behind me I can hear the 6 year olds waving and shouting back so I call over a guard and ask him to keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get harmed. He obeys and I can hear him trying to persuade the children to not climb out of the carriage through the window. Me and Dorian chuckle.

We ride for the entire day, only stopping for lunch and to relieve ourselves. By the time we reach the final clearing in Ardalan right on Terrasen's border, I can tell that all 3 children are close to passing out from exhaustion. I call for us to stop and the guards start setting up camp. The clearing we've stopped at isn't the usual one that travellers use as there are no shops, and therefore it's just a small patch of grass about a 5 minute walk from the main track. Surrounding the Glen is the beautiful oakwald forest, the leaves on the trees either just coming out or bright and fresh. Budding flowers, berries and nuts cover may of the trees. Under the moonlight the glen is cast in shadows, and as we start setting up camp we start to hear the nocturnal creatures rising from their slumber.

I walk over to Josie, who's still sat on top of her ebony horse.

"Want some help?" I call up to her, earning an annoyed look in return.

Before she can object I lift her from the saddle, set her on the floor, and kiss the top of her head. She glares at me. I have to suppress a smile - all the women in my life have perfected that look.

Hands on hips she looks up at me, "I can get down by myself you know, I'm perfectly capable."

"I know but you're tired, and we've been riding all day. " I say, then lean down to eye level and flick her nose, "And I can't have my eldest daughter growing up that quickly."

She bats my hand away murmuring,,"I'm not that tired." Just as she says it she yawns, glaring at me again before I can say anything. I chuckle at her annoyance.

"Go and help set up the tents or collect fire wood or something if you aren't that tired. Don't leave without a guard though."

She leaves muttering about how she can defend herself perfectly well.