Chapter 34- Life goes on

Aelin

It's been just over a week since we found out about Lysandra. A week since the attack. A week since our city was partially destroyed. A week since we realised the shadow lord's identity due to Fenrys' letter.

It's been 6 days since Dorian returned after we contacted him with potential news of Hollin. 4 days since Manon returned on time - annoyed at us for not getting her back sooner. 4 days since Lysandra, Fenrys and Lorcan were meant to come home... but didn't.

Aislinn's birthday was 2 days ago. She's now 7. Her birthday party was tainted by sadness and fear, we tried not to let it show, but even she wasn't her usual bubbly self. We didn't end up doing the huge party she wanted, mainly for safety reasons. Instead she asked that we host a training session in the morning with all her friends, and have a pizza party and a sleepover with the other court kids.

If it wasn't for Gavriel and Zephyr, Aedion would have shut himself in his room to grieve the potential loss of his wife. Instead they have been mourning together by spending lots of time as a family.

After Aedion had fled from the truth of what happened to Lysandra, I'd gone to find him. I'd guessed where he'd be, and I was right - the training courtyard. I had waited a few minutes before going in - to let him have some time to decide what to do and how to feel. When I finally entered he was throwing daggers at the targets, wall, and floor with the force of all his bottled up emotions. As I walked over to him, I grabbed two wooden staffs from the weapon rack. I reached him, and threw the staff for him to catch. He had stepped out of the way and let it fall to the floor. I picked it back up and held it out for him to take. He tried to refuse but I stared him down. Reluctantly, he had taken it.

Immediately I launched myself at him and we became a whirlwind of movement, staffs crashing against each other with each push of pain and anger. I'd be lying if I said that the fight was entirely for Aedion's benefit, I needed it too. We had fought for hours, adrenaline pumping through our veins, tears streaming down our cheeks, until with one final collision, both our staffs splintered and snapped.

We had stared at those remnants of our pain and anger, frozen with shock. Then Aedion's knees gave way, just as mine had earlier. I silently walked over to where he was curled up on the ground, and sat down next to him. I rubbed his back in comfort as sobs broke free. We had sat there in silence, both of us crying, hugging each other in comfort. Eventually we felt ready to talk.

"What am I going to do Aelin? What are we going to do?" Aedion had murmured, voice croaky from tears.

It had taken me a while to answer. I had no idea what we were going to do; about Lysandra, Hollin, the kids, my pregnancy, ruling the kingdom. So many things that were causing me to panic.

"I don't know," I'd finally replied, "But I do know that we will get her back. For now we just have to take it one day at a time."

"I'll go and find her... I can get her and bring her home!" Aedion had cried, trying to stand.

"Are you insane? " I said, jumping up to join him.

"I will do it, try and stop me."

"You aren't going. One because you will get killed. And two because then your sons' may risk losing you as well." I yelled.

"Rowan came to find you." He yelled back, arms flying out.

"Yes but I was being tortured by my aunt and I had the whole of Erelia relying on me not dying. Lysandra for all we know isn't even with Hollin, and we know she will fight back with all she's got - just like Dorian did all those years ago. And, might I add, we don't actually know where Hollin is."