Chapter 32- Letters

Aelin
It's only been two days since I rushed out of the courtyard in the middle of the training session, although It feels like longer as today draws to a close.

A messenger had arrived with news from Fenrys and Lorcan. We were told what had been happening throughout Terrasen briefly by the servant - that the situation in the country is far from good, but to go and talk to the messenger as there was more. We left the kids with the guards and sped down the corridor towards the throne room. I was handed a letter from Fenrys at the same time that Lance, the messenger, confirmed what the servant had said earlier. I hurriedly opened the letter, Elide and Yrene peering over my shoulder.

Aelin,
I really wanted to not have to write this letter at all, let alone so soon.
The shadow lord has been attacking the villages near the Staghorns, but it's not just cats this time, they've taken humans as well.
3 people in one village; Jade, Oskar, and Lena. We don't know what happened to them, but we know how Lena's life ended. It ended in a tavern. Her body shrouded in shadows, possessed, in pain, half dead. These were her last words;
"Give this message to your queen.
Every day you spend rejoicing over your victories in the war, every day you think of your past, present, and future, remember this:
No matter what you do, you cannot conquer darkness. Darkness is a part of you, and you cannot conquer what has become one with our soul.
You've already lost your highness. Accept your fate. Accept your punishment. Accept my revenge.
For what? I'm sure everyone wants revenge on you - you're a coward, You're weak, and you're unfit to rule.
You murdered my father in cold blood. This I will never forget.
You turned your back on me, on him, so I will turn your people against you, until you are reduced to nothing.
And if you try to stop it. Well let's just say you'll have a few more deaths on your hands.

Oh, and let my big brother know I say hi."

Moments after, Lena collapsed onto the floor dead, she was my mate Aelin, and I lost her. I don't know what to do anymore.

Lorcan said we should try to find a way to make sure no more lives are lost, so that's what we are doing. We will probably be gone for a few more weeks, I will be sure to inform you of our progress.
I hope you and the others are doing ok.
All my love,
Fenrys

My hands were shaking like mad by the end, and all three of us had tears dripping down our faces.

"He found his mate." I whispered, then let the letter fall to the floor in case I set it on fire.

"Yes, yes he did." Elide murmured.

We had fallen into silence for a while, before Rowan, Chaol, and Aedion came crashing in. I hadn't even looked at them as I picked up the letter from the floor, and handed it over to Rowan. They read it quickly, faces paling and hands shaking.

"Oh boyo." Rowan breathed, then came and hugged me, both of us shaking.

Chaol paled, "Whoever hates you Aelin is almost as dramatic as you." He says, trying to lift the sombre mood - I couldn't bring myself to respond from where I was wrapped up in my mate's arms.

It was a while before Aedion asked the question we'd all been avoiding.

"What now?"

"We find out who is behind this." I'd muttered

The past couple of days has been filled with trying to decipher the message in the letter. It took longer than it should have because we had to keep running the kingdom as if there was nothing wrong, look after the kids, and I kept getting shouted at by Yrene about needing to rest. But now, finally, we are close to the truth.