Chapter 24- "Betrayal is a little bit over dramatic"

Josie

"Before we begin, I think it best that you meet your competitors. Please turn your gaze and give a warm welcome to Josie, Gavriel, Aislinn, Asterin, Zephyr and Orion. " Aunt Elide shouts, and out we all walk, the sun hiding the other children from us. I hesitantly glace to my left and see that Aislinn and Asterin are pretending they're on a catwalk, whereas on my right, past a nervous Gavriel, Zephyr and Orion are squealing and beaming with delight.

As we enter the courtyard further, our view of the others becomes clearer, and I begin to notice some of my family are sighing with relief as they notice familiar faces- I don't. My heart is still pounding in my chest, lungs tight from held breath. It's not that I don't recognise any of them, I do, it's just we have some... history.

I scowl internally as I take in the horrible view of some of Gavriel's...friends. Their "gang" consists of Gavriel, Lukas, and Mikael, as well as Calix, Theon, and Lela who aren't here today. I love Gavriel but I hate his so called friends. Gavriel and Lukas are around the age of 9, Calix is 10,Theon is 10, Mikael 11, Lela 11. Lela is alright, and I often end up hanging out with her when they come to the castle, but I'd rather be with my friends in Ardalan.

We join our age groups, the grown ups pointing us in the right direction and helping the younger ones introduce themselves. Me and Gavriel are with Lukas and two girls I vaguely recognise.

"Hi I'm Esme, I'm 8." A girl with curly brown afro hair and rich hazelnut skin says.

" Melanie, or Mel for short, I'm 10. " Says the other girl with sapphire eyes, long brown hair and pale skin.

"Amber, I'm 8." A blonde girl grins.

"Josie, 9." I say pointing to myself. " and Gavriel, 8." I wave a hand at him.

"And as you know I'm the fabulous Lukas and I'm 9 , nearly 10." The ginger boy says winking.

I roll my eyes, and the other girls smirk.

"I haven't seen you in ages Gav!" Lukas bellows, hitting him in the arm. Gavriel chuckles.

"It's only been a month since I was last in Orynth." He replies heartily at the same time I exclaim " Gav? "

"You've been gone a while." Gavriel mumbles, I scoff.

"Its his Nickname Jose, ever heard of one?" He cuts in teasing.

" Don't call me that. " I say tersely.

"Why? You used to love it."

"Doesn't mean I like you calling me it anymore."

" Why? "

"You aren't my friend."

"Since when?"

"What ? "

"Since when have I not been your friend?"

"You've never been my friend Lukas."

"Liar."

"I am not! "

"You mean to tell me that all our games when we were younger- just the 4 of us, Me, you, Gav, and Zafira weren't real?"

"You lost that friendship the day you betrayed Zafira. Betrayed me."

"A-That wasn't my fault and you know it. And B- Betrayal is a little bit over dramatic."

"What are you going on about?" Gavriel asks, we both ignore him.

"Did you tell him?" I ask Lukas, gaze drifting slightly to Gavriel.