Chapter 14 - Welcome home

Aelin

"Welcome back Fenrys" I say grinning.

"Uncle Fenrys" All the children shout and run towards him, knocking him to the ground.

I strut over to the pile of bodies, Rowan right behind me, and smirk.

"Need a little help?" I tease.

"Umm yes?" a voice squeaks from the bottom of the pile.

"Kids can get off him a minute? I promise that you can bully him to your hearts content later, but right now we have things to talk about." I request, still smirking. They obey grudgingly, and I pull him into a hug.

"I've only been gone a few weeks Aelin. " He mutters, pulling away.

"I know but so much has happened."

"I'm not sure what you're talking about, but fill me in in a minute, I'll fill you in with news from the scouting trip as well." He pauses for a moment as he sniffs the air, obviously smelling something off, he does a double take as he registers my scent. "Hang on are you pregnant Aelin?"

" Yes, it's twins. " I point at my tiny bump, easily mistaken for a bloated stomach. I make eye contact with him and register a brief flicker of sadness in his eyes- Connall. Everyone else starts their own conversation to give us some privacy, most are talking about the upcoming training for the children, but Lysandra and Dorian are debating the best type of cake.

"Congratulations." He says quietly. I share a small smile with him .

"He would be so proud of you and all that you've accomplished."

"I still failed him though."

"You didn't Fenrys, he knew what he was doing, he didn't want to go but he couldn't help it."

"I promised him I would protect him. Protect us."

"I know how you feel." I say with a sad smile.

"I know, but you didn't fail them either Aelin." He responds with a watery smile of his own.

"Thank you" I say quietly. "Now scouting report. War room, sitting room, dinning room, or study?" I ask him, eager to get away from the memories..

" Dinning room, I'm starving. " Dorian shouts from behind me.

"Same, Can someone order some cake please?" Lysandra cries.

"I thought you were supposed to be pretending you weren't listening in? But yes, cake sounds good." I retort.

Ten minutes later, we are all sat around the huge dining table, a huge chocolate hazelnut cake, which I had ordered before the training session knowing we would probably need it, sat in the centre. The cake has 2 tiers decorated with a hazelnut buttercream and chocolate drip. Scattered over the top are swirls of icing and chopped hazelnuts, as well as chocolate buttons and chocolate chips.

We all stare at the cake for a moment before Dorian, me and Lysandra pounce. The staff in the kitchen were smart enough to give us 3 knives, so we all grab one and cut a huge slab of decadent chocolate for ourselves, before passing the knife to someone else.

Once everyone has helped themselves to cake except Lorcan- who claims that the cake doesn't match his personality, to which Elide laughed and slapped a massive slab on his plate- we begin the meeting.

"Ok so do you want to be told what's been happening here Fenrys, or do you want to go first?" Rowan asks.

"You go first, it might explain what we found. " Fenrys replies.