Love You to Death Chapter 11

Sitting there in a heap of tears and shards of broken glass, I didn't know what to do next. I felt so numb. I felt like leaving this all behind and abandoning my mission. My life was now on the line and possibly Peter's life, but Peter's life always hung in the balance of things. I hastily wiped more tears away as they fell onto my cheeks and then my thighs as I cradled myself, rocking back and forth, trying to soothe myself. The self soothing wasn't helping and I started wailing like a newborn that needed comfort. The gut-wrenching moans and sobs that emanated from my mouth were that of fear and disbelief.

Did this really just happen?

As I was sitting on the floor, another visitor knocked on the door. I was audibly still wailing and I know the person on the other side heard my cries. I tried to clean myself up the best that I could and told the person on the other side to give me a minute. I had totally forgotten that I sat in an explosion of shattered glass, and as I got up to walk to the door I felt shards of glass pierce the flesh of my bare feet. The adrenaline still coursing through my veins coupled with my numbness made the pain non-evident. However, whoever was on the other side of the door heard my cries from earlier and started twisting the door knob at a vicious pace.

"Do you think you could come back at another time?" I asked through the door, wiping the last remaining tears away.

"Rosie? Are you okay?" a rich and full, yet slightly muffled voice on the other side of the door asked. It was Peter.

"...No." I croaked out.

I reached to unlock the door. As soon as he heard the locking mechanism click open, he burst through the door and saw a scene that I was going to have trouble explaining. Good going, Rosemary. I wish I would've had more time to possibly clean myself and the room up, but don't we all wish we had more time?

Peter's eyes went from me standing there with puffy eyes, to the trail of blood I had left behind from my feet bleeding, to the explosion of glass right near the steps, to the papers strewn all over the floor in the living room. His eyes darted back to me, my own eyes about to brim over with tears yet again.

"What...happened here?" His expression was a mix of deep confusion and concern. He closed the door behind him, locking the mechanism on the lock once more.

I turned around and examined the mess behind me, noting the blood he saw. I didn't realize I was bleeding until I had seen the small pools of crimson on the floor.

"I dropped the vase and I somehow managed to step in the glass." I motioned to my feet, blood pooling in small puddles. "I had a ditz moment is all." I tried to quell his worry.

He just looked at me quizzically.

"Huh." was all he said and then he went to go to the kitchen and grab paper towels, then came back to me.

"Come here." Peter motioned to me and lifted me up in his arms, throwing me over his shoulder. He carried me beyond the sea of broken glass to the living room where the couch was. He gently set me down on the couch and then sat down beside me, putting my bloody feet in his lap.

"How did you manage to drop the vase, Rosie?" Peter asked as he worked on cleaning my feet. He looked up from his work to look at the wall near where the vase was decimated. There were chunks of paint missing off the wall. Yikes.

I didn't think of a cover story before he came over. I was planning on cleaning all of this up, but this was just divine timing.

"I tripped over a flat surface, as per usual." I shrugged lightly, trying to lead him to believe my fallacious statement.