Love You to Death Chapter 9

It was May 22nd and I hadn't heard from Peter at all. He never stopped by my house to see me. I thought he had forgotten about me. It had been over a month since I had seen him last and I wondered if he still thought of me. I wondered if he even remembered me and the smile that seemed to captivate his heart. I left my door unlocked just in case he would come back to me. I didn't know if he would ever return back at this rate.

The past month had been torturous in more ways than one. For one, I was dealing with my love-sickness for Peter. The other thing was that I went back to the present time, talking with Dr. Schmidt and visiting my family for the first time since being transplanted into 1993. I hugged my mom like it was the last time I would ever see her. I cried, the longing for her finally coming to the surface. The situation was likewise with my dad. I filled my parents in on everything going on. After I talked to them, I went to my apartment to grab a few more things that I wanted to take back in time with me. I went back to my parents for dinner and I couldn't stop crying. I missed my family so much. My visit ended abruptly: I was summoned to go back to 1993 at 0700 the next day. One day was not enough to spend with my family. I cried driving back to Fort Meade.

May 22nd was an absolutely gorgeous day and mother nature was working her magic, bringing the organisms within her grasp back to life. I walked out onto my little patio in the early morning light and basked in the sun's golden rays. The birds were singing in the trees and I felt at peace. I traipsed into the lawn and did some yoga, trying to relieve the tension in my body. I felt so good, so free, letting the golden sunshine soak into my bones. I got off the ground from doing yoga and went into the house to get ready. I got dressed in a simple spaghetti strap sundress with a sunflower pattern and brown, strappy sandals. I went back downstairs and filled a big pitcher of water and placed tea bags in it, taking the pitcher outside to the patio table to steep in the sunlight. I went back in the house and threw open all of the windows, letting in some fresh air. I decided that today would be a great day to try and find some plants to put in my small garden that I planned on creating as soon as I got back with said plants. I headed out the door and headed towards a small farmers market. The market was bustling with people trying to find the things they needed. I found the plants that I needed and headed towards a hardware store to find a shovel, spade, watering can, a hoe, and other gardening tools. I grabbed my tools from the store and headed back home, carrying everything through the house and into the backyard.

It was around 11 in the morning which meant I had the whole day still available to spend in the backyard. I grabbed my speaker and played songs off of a 70's soft rock playlist that I had on my music app. I put on my sunglasses, a cute sun hat I found at the hardware store, took off my sandals, heading out to the backyard. I weeded the overgrown flower beds and trimmed back some of the healthy growth. I discovered that I had beautiful hosta and rose bushes growing amongst the jungle of weeds. After I was done weeding, I worked on creating my garden. I dug into the earth, upturning rich soil. I dug out a 10 by 10 patch that would hold my tomato, pepper, cabbage, green bean, and lettuce plants. I planted each seed, one by one, and demarcated where they where each type of plant was planted. I stood up, my knees slightly dirtied by the ground, my feet in the same situation. I mosied over to my crate of flowers that I had bought from the farmers market and worked on the flowerbeds along the fence line of my little property. I planted the small hydrangeas and geraniums carefully. I was kneeling in front of my flowers, tending to each one.

My back was turned to the patio, not knowing I had an unexpected visitor. I was so consumed with my beautiful rose bushes that had yet to bloom, pruning them with delicate grace. "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Crofts wafted through the air. I hummed softly to myself. I felt like the summer breeze, gently going where I pleased in my private hideaway. I turned myself, reaching for the watering can when I saw him. My hands went to my lips and my eyes went wide, shocked at this surprise turn of events. I took my sunglasses off in disbelief and threw them on the ground. I got up from my kneeling position, still in shock, and my feet moved on their own accord, first in a walk then a run, my sun hat falling into the yard like a distant memory.