Chapter 2 - Together

Caspian's POV

It's been months since I've seen Althea, but this is the last time. I wrote to her explaining that after I get back, we would travel to the Lone Islands together. I need to track down the Seven Lords of Telmar. They were close friends and supporters of my father, when he died they fled to the only place that would take them in and protect them.

I'm glad we're returning earlier than I originally thought. Althea hasn't responded to any of my letters for a while so I'm worried.

The front gate of the castle creaks and groans as they pull it open. We traveled all night and it's mid-day now so the courtyard is bustling because of our early arrival. My eyes instantly start searching the crowd for her, I don't even having to think about it. Everyone stares back as I and my band of men dismount our horses.

"Your highness, please allow me to take your horse." A young stable hand asks.

"Thank you, but I'll take care of it. Please tell Lady Althea to meet me in my study." He nods and walks away as I lead my horse to the stables.

I would normally find her myself but fewer people will bother us if we're alone in my private study, which is what I need after being bothered by everyone. I'm thankful the stables are empty. I put away the saddle and blanket and lock the horse securely in his stall. The stable hand returns, but he's alone and looks panicked.

"Your highness, she wasn't in her chambers. I asked around and no one has seen her." He explains, his voice shaky like he's afraid.

"When did you last see her?" I ask calmly.

"I... I don't know." He mutters.

"Find Reepicheep and tell him to go to the study."

I spin on my heel and swiftly leave the stables. The castle is full and lively as the Lords are summoned back due to my return. They'll all want to meet with me to discuss our new treaty with the north and arranging the next trip out to sea. I don't think I can concentrate on anything that isn't Althea until I know where she is. Reepicheep is already waiting. I swear he knows the castle better than me, and I grew up here.

"When did you last see Althea?" I ask. He turns around on my desk and holds out a small piece of paper.

"She left about a week ago, sire."

I take the note and roughly unfold it.

'I've gone to visit Trufflehunter early. If Caspian gets back, tell him I took Destrier and not to worry. I should be back before then though.   - Althea'

"Thank you, Reep." I let out a breath of relief.

"I've been checking on her every few days and she's fine." He says. I nod gratefully.

"I need to meet with the Lords so if you'll get everything sorted for the Lone Islands?"

"Right away." He leaps from my desk to the floor, scurrying to the door.

"Oh and Reep? You'll be coming too." His tiny eyes light up and he grins over his shoulder at me.

"Thank you, my liege."

It took some convincing, but the Lords finally agreed to let me head out for the Lone Islands immediately. Reep has gathered a small group of fresh, trustworthy men, some I'm already acquainted with. The sun starts to set when we head back out of the castle. People smile and greet us in the streets, some even offering us supplies, which I graciously accept.

By the time we reach the huge tree trunk, it's dusk. I tell the men to go on ahead, giving one my horse as I can see Destier resting nearby, then Reep and I stay to get Althea. Excitement builds in my stomach as I firmly knock on the door. Trufflehunter is the one to answer and he looks very happy to see me.