Chapter 21 - Ramandu's Island

Althea's POV

"If I get any hungrier, I'm gonna eat that dragon." A crewmate mutters while glaring up at Eustace with tired eyes.

We've been sailing, more like rowing, with no wind for a few days now with still no sign of Ramandu's Island. The men have grown restless again and the rations are running dangerously low.

"If we don't find land by tonight, they may well eat him," Drinian says, climbing up the stairs to where I'm standing between Caspian and Ed.

The ship suddenly lurches forward and he trips up the stairs while the three of us hit the deck, falling on our backs. Several members of the crew shout and tumble around the deck themselves.

"What did we hit?" Caspian shouts as he helps me back to my feet.

We all sprint to the sides, looking into the water to see if we've run aground, but it's nothing, in fact, the ship is actually moving through the water.

"Eustace! That's brilliant!" Ed yells, grinning widely.

Eustace is at the front of the ship and has his long dragon tail wrapped tightly around the front of the boat, pulling us forward at a speed we haven't matched in days. The men start cheering and clapping for him, ecstatic that they finally get to have a break.

"At this rate, we should find something by nightfall," Drinian says, a barely noticeable hint of relief in his tone.

"We should discuss our plans for when we get to Ramandu's Island," Ed says. "Caspian?"

"What makes you so sure we'll get there?" I answer for him. The three of us crossing the deck to the study.

"What else can we do? We've almost run out of rations so it's our only option." Ed says gravely while opening the balcony doors to thankfully let in some fresh air.

"We can't be sure the other lords even made it to Ramadu's Island," Caspian says quietly as he sits at the desk, examining the three swords we've found so far.

We have four to go. What are the odds that they're all on Ramandu's Island considering that these three were spread out over hundreds of miles? What if we missed one? I wouldn't be all that surprised, the ocean is huge, they could even be on the seafloor for all we know.

"I have a feeling they did, and even if they didn't we'll find another way." I try to sound encouraging and earn a small smile of gratitude.

"Aslan wouldn't have led us all this way for nothing," Lucy says from the doorway.

"I agree."

I brush my fingers over the hilt of one of the seven, hoping that somehow its sisters have survived.

~

It's almost sunset before Ramandu's Island finally comes into view. Eustace roars happily and lets us go close enough to shore that we can take longboats the rest of the way. I end up on a longboat by myself but at least I get to sit at the front.

"Everyone stay close together," Caspian shouts when we get ashore.

The island is covered in various-sized waterfalls, all of them magnificent and beautiful to behold. A stone path sticks out from the rest of the scenery, even though it's overgrown with thick vines and a few spider-webs. It's clear that no one has been here in years. My stomach sinks with disappointment. I suppose the lords might not have made it here after all.

Edmund leads the way with his flashlight, Caspian and I watching his back attentively with our weapons drawn. It's good to have my daggers back on, it feels safe and familiar. A loud bird call echoes from somewhere deep in the forest, making a chill run down my spine. It's strangely unnerving, even though I know this is where we're supposed to be.