Chapter 17 - Mutiny

Althea's POV

After discussing our next course of action with Drinian, agreeing that we should find land as soon as possible, we head out to double-check how many rations are left. All the remaining food and water are on deck and the crew is repairing anything that was damaged during the last night of the storm. When they see Caspian they all start whispering and staring at us. I look up at Drinian, confused.

"What is it Drinian?" Caspian asks.

"The storm has blown us off course."

"So we keep going east," Ed says. All the men are still staring at the kings, more so them than Drinian. Even I get several nasty looks that quickly make me feel uncomfortable.

"It's just not that simple Ed," Caspian says.

"I don't like the looks we're getting," I say quietly so they're the only ones who hear me.

"Something's got into the men," Drinian says, noticing the stares too.

"What's going on?" One of the crewmen yells.

"Where are we?"

"You've gotten us lost!" Another man points at us.

"She's gotten us lost, she's been navigating this whole time!" Someone yells, but I can't pick out exactly who it is. I mentally cringe and lower my head so I'm less visible to the crew.

"Just order them," Ed says.

"That'll just provoke them," Caspian says wisely.

"Your majestys', what some of us have been wanting to ask for some time now was, how are we going to get home?" The men move closer threateningly. "We'd like to know what hope we have of seeing Narnia again."

Caspian's eyes flicker between the three of us, lingering on me a bit longer before he walks down the stairs so that he's on the same level as the men.

"Gentlemen, I understand how you feel, but our mission is to continue east." All the men groan. I push past Drinian and walk down the stairs to stand by Caspian's side so he's not facing them alone.

"No. We want to go home. Turn us back."

"What's the matter with you all?" Mr. Rhinse shouts. "That's your fear talking."

"We demand you turn us back. Now!"

Drinian comes down this time. "Are you threatening mutiny?" He yells.

They fall silent and take a few steps back.

"Well?" He yells again.

"No sir." A few of them mutter, their voices seeping with defeat.

"Land ho!"

~

When we get closer to the island, I can see that it has zero trees or any wildlife for that matter. It's probably volcanic, a stark difference from Coriakan's lush island, but there's no smoke or any signs that the volcano is active. We set out on the longboats, plenty of men volunteering to come along and get some time off the ship.

"I doubt the Lords stopped here my liege!" Reepicheep shouts from the longboat next to us. "There's no sign of anything living."

"Right. Well once we get ashore take your men and search for food and water." Caspian says. "The four of us will search for clues."

"Hang on, don't you mean the five of us?" Eustace asks. We all turn around to stare at him. "Come on, please don't send me back to the rat."

"I heard that," Reep says and I stifle a laugh.