CHAPTER 2

Sunday, 23 October 1994

"Excuse me, Lady Black. Headmaster Karkaroff would like you to meet you in his office." said a third-year boy to Cassie, who was lying on the ground by the lake.

Cassie was enjoying the silence when the boy approached her. She glared at the boy who dared to disturb her rest. The boy stepped back hastily and let out a soft whimper. She sighed heavily and dismissed the boy. Once he was dismissed, the boy ran away like a ghost was chasing him. He doesn't want to face the Black anger as she was known for her lethal spells.

"What does that son of bitch want now?" asked Cassie out loud. She reluctantly got up from her position and took her time walking to the office.

Igor Karkaroff. A vile, unprincipled, and egotistical man. During his time as the headmaster, many parents withdrew their children from Durmstrang, her best friend, Adrian, was one of them who left. Karkaroff encouraged an environment dominated by fear and intimidation from his students.

But what makes her hate that man bad is when he tried to use the Cruciatus Curse on a first-year student who accidentally spilled her potion on his robes. Cassie took the blame for the student, and the headmaster gave her one-month detention instead.

She arrived in front of Karkaroff's office and knocked on the door. A faint come in was heard after her third knock. Inside the office, a few other students were standing around the office. As she walked in, she recalled a fond memory of what happened in her second year, when she received the detention.

Her Papa, who was under disguised, had a 'friendly visit' once he heard the news about detention. Cassie enjoyed a cuppa in the headmaster's office, watching Karkaroff writhing in pain on the floor. Since that day, Karkaroff tends to stay away from Cassie and anyone she demands as kin. But that does not stop him from treating other students as servants.

Karkaroff offers her a seat on the dark red couch. She raised an eyebrow waiting for his explanation as she sat on the sofa, and before she could utter a word, a knock was heard. Karkaroff told the person behind the closed door to enter.

Cassie turned her head when the chair next to her was occupied by the famous Quidditch player, Viktor Krum.

Viktor Krum is an 18 year old boy who also happened to be her other best friend since her first year. He was a tall, thin, sallow young man with dark hair and eyes. He had a large, curved nose that he inherited from his father, a sharp profile, thick, black eyebrows. He may be appearing graceful while flying on a broomstick but on the ground, and he was clumsy.

"Now that all of you are here, I would like to discuss the Triwizard Tournament at Hogwarts next week. All of you are chosen as part of the delegation, and all of you need to put your name inside the goblet. Black and Viktor will be by my side when we arrive at Hogwarts. The others would be behind us. Do you understand me?" he told him, observing the students inside his office.

"Wait, I need to go too? I don't want to participate in the death tournament. I know I'm mad, but I'm not that mad to join that thing," exclaimed Cassie.

She was ready to leave the office when Viktor spoke.

"Come on, Cass. You can support us even if you don't participate. And I heard that Hogwarts is a beautiful castle so maybe you can walk around while the rest of us face death and boredom. And maybe you can meet your prince charming there." said Viktor with a goofy smile on his face.

Cassie turned around and smacked the back of Viktor's head. Viktor retaliated back before it turned into a whole fight between them.

The rest of the students in the office chuckled, watching the fight between the two best friends. Both of them are known to be serious, but when around each other, they act like children. Sometimes which is all the time, one of them would start a prank, and it would be caused them to chase each other around the castle.

A loud cough was heard, and it caused the fight between them to stop. Viktor gave a sheepish smile while Cassie glared at Karkaroff. Karkaroff gulped and tried his best not to shudder under her glanced.

"Fine. But I won't put my name inside the goblet. If I wanted to die, I would do it in a grand way, not enter some stupid tournament where the number of death was high. And my familiar will ve there too." say Cassie and leave the office.

Once she exited the office, she went straight to her room. Unlike Hogwarts, Durmstrang students are given private rooms, including a medium-size bathroom and a queen-sized bed. (Picture is on the next chapter).

When she entered her room, her familiar, a grey wolf named Hades, was lying on her bed while her other familiar, a green horned owl named Hermes, flew around the room before it landed on top of Hades' head. (Picture & description is in the next chapter). She stifled a laugh watching her familiar behaviour before calling for an elf to prepare tea and cookies while writing a letter for her Papa.

Dear Papa,

How are you? Bet you miss me right because I miss you so much. Anyway, Karkaroff chooses me as part of the delegation to Hogwarts for the Triwizard Tournament. Do you know that that man has a nerve ordering me to put my name inside the goblet? That time I want to struggle with him so bad and watch him suffocate to death. I still do, but sadly I can't. But after I threatened to leave, he kind of agreed to let me be just part of the delegation, I guess. Vik convinced me to go, and after I listed the pros and cons, I agreed to go only if Hades and Hermes came with me.

I can't wait to go there to see by myself the place that Papa always told me about. Maybe we can meet at Hogsmeade during the weekend. I seriously can't wait. The lesson is as usual. Dark arts and DADA are my favorites, and I'm still top in both subjects. I guess that's all I want to tell you. I'll write to you again.

I love you, Papa.

Your daughter,

Cassiopeia.

After writing and sealing the letter with the Black seal, she shrunk it and put it inside a small pouch on Hermes's back. She kisses Hermes's head before releasing him outside. She went to her bathroom to have a shower before dinner.

◇ladyriddlemorgernstern◇