07

[ Adventures with an unimpressive corpse   ]

Breakfast the next morning was peculiar. The hunters looked grim. Some even had puffy eyes, as if they'd been crying. My gaze kept wandering over to Poseidon's table, where Percy and Grover were aggressively whispering about something. I couldn't help but try and eavesdrop, but it was too hard, so I settled for lip reading. That didn't help much, because well, I don't know how to lip read.

You see, my talents remain in the world of trickery, manipulation, stealing stuff, and lying. Speaking of lying, I haven't really told anyone that I can tell if someone is lying. It doesn't happen automatically though, I have to be actively trying to tell. But I always can.

Oh, I'm also crazy good at math, but all Hermes kids are. You know the god of wealth, therefore accounting and stuff. I don't know how it works ok, we're just really good.

Connor can do college-level stuff in his sleep. It's crazy.

Travis is terrifying with a sword. His reflexes are insanely fast; if he actually bothered to put more effort into sword fighting class, I think he'd almost beat Percy.

I'm not sure why I'm raving about my oh so aggravating brothers. Here ill even it out; Travis's favorite harry potter movie is the chamber of secrets. Gross, I know, right. And Connor said Teen Wolf was trash.

I don't stand for Stiles slander.

Let's just say Conor learned his lesson.

Suddenly Percy stood up from his table, catching my attention as he made a bee-line for the big house. I looked around and realized that Mr. D and Chiron were both doing activities, meaning an empty Big House.

What was this kid up to?

I left the table, allowing Travis and Connor to continue planning their next prank. Oh sweet apollo cabin, you truly don't deserve what's coming for you. Eh, who am I kidding? I was so joining them.

I was following Percy, careful not to be noticed. I entered the big house behind him, and the adrenaline of breaking rules was starting to flow through my veins.

"Percy!" I whispered though I wasn't sure why, because there was no one else in the big house.

He whipped around to look at me, "Mel?"

I rolled my eyes, "No, it's Sherman from cabin 5. Yes, it's Mel! What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

"Depends. Are you gonna tell someone I was here?"

I was mildly offended he even thought I would tattle, "Do I seem to like the type of person to tattle tail? I'm not a child."

He pulled a trouble-making grin, "Fair enough, so, care to join me on an adventure?"

Despite myself, I smiled, "Am I going to get fatally injured?"

"Does it matter?"

"Lead the way."

We crept up the stairs leading to the attic. I quickly caught on to the fact he wanted to talk to the oracle of Delphi. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of talking to corpses and hoping they tell me some cryptic riddle about my future. But I'd already agreed to this so-called 'adventure'. No turning back now.

The room was dark and dusty, cluttered with junk. There were shields with monster bites in them and swords bent in the shapes of daemon heads. It's seeing those that remind me why the average life span of a demigod is twenty-five.

Over by the window, sitting on a three-legged stool, was a shriveled up mummy of an old lady in a tie-dye hippie dress.

I was a little unimpressed, "That's the oracle?"