013

[she's a lady, and he's just a boy or one love, two mouths]

We were headed west at breakneck, no, break-any-normal-train speed, and every second that passed, I was a little more confident that I had just encountered two gods in the last 2 hours.

I sat with my feet on the dashboard of an old jeep wrangler I hot wired. A special thank you to Travis and Chris for being horrible role models. I wouldn't be here without them. My seat was reclined all the way back, and I was staring at the ceiling of the car. My mind wandered all over the place. Mostly to the thought of running into Luke on this quest. And the thought that he might run me through, just like in the dream. I was insanely tired, but I didn't want to sleep and wake up gasping again, thinking my ex-brother stabbed me.

All of a sudden, the passenger door opened, and I ripped my bracelet off faster than you could say knife and had it pointed at the door. Only there wasn't a blonde scar-faced menace there, just a very amused Percy Jackson.

"Woah there, Mel, no need to go all john wick on me," he laughed, putting his hands up in mock surrender.

"Jesus christ, Jackson." I breathed as he climbed into the seat next to me.

"We're on a moving train. No one on here would try to kill you," he teased.

"Listen here, dollar store aqua boy, you're disturbing my peace, so if you don't get out, I swear I will-"

"So I was thinking we listen to 2010s hits cause everyone knows them," he interrupted me seeming unfazed by my threats.

I blinked at him, "We aren't friends."

Ah yes, sweet, sweet denial, I have once again come to visit.

Percy laughed, "Oh, why of course we aren't, princess, now answer my question."

I absolutely despised the power he had over me when he called me princess. It made me want to slam my head against a jagged brick wall repeatedly and then gouge my eyes out with a dirty spoon.

I groaned, "Fine 2010s hits, but I refuse to do this unless we sing slash scream all the lyrics obnoxiously." I said, finally giving in.

"Naturally," he said, grinning at me.

I let a small grin slip, but I quickly tried to downplay it by rolling my eyes.

"Hit it, Jackson."

And so began what might have been the most peaceful hours of my life.

_

I 'sang' with a hand over my heart, "WATCHING OVER ME, HE'S SINGING" I turned to Percy and pointed at him.

He beamed, "SHE'S A, SHE'S A LADY, AND I AM JUST A BOY."

We laughed and kept singing, "HE'S SINGING, SHE'S A, SHE'S A LADY, AND I AM JUST A LINE WITHOUT A,"

Without warning, I grabbed onto the collar of his shirt and pulled him to look at me, "OH BABY, I AM A WRECK WHEN I'M WITHOUT YOU."

If it's possible, his smile got wider, "I NEED YOU HERE TO STAY."

"I BROKE ALL MY BONES THAT DAY I FOUND YOU,"

"CRYING BY THE LAKE,"

_

Percy grabbed my shoulders and shook me as I laughed. He sang/yelled, "I WANNA GRAB BOTH YOUR SHOULDERS AND SHAKE, BABY."

"SNAP OUT OF IT," I responded, smiling wildly.