Chapter 19: Dreams

Much to Hanji's dismay, you went immediately to your room upon returning to headquarters. You were too overwhelmed with everything  that you just wanted some peace and quiet. You also wanted to avoid Levi. You didn't know, but assumed, he would be mad at you for leaving without his permission. You knew you had to face him eventually, but you wanted to be well rested before you faced the consequences of your actions. 

You laid down on your bed as a wave of exhaustion hit you. You had hoped that sleep would allow you to finally get some rest, but like a cruel joke it was the opposite. Your dreams were filled with unabated nightmares, yet you couldn't wake up. It was as if something was trying to show you something and it wasn't going to let you wake up until you watched the scene unfold in your mind. So, unwillingly, you allowed yourself to be swept away...

The first thing you felt was the wind in your hair and the thundering of hoof beats. A bright light was approaching fast and you soon realized it was a doorway. The stone face of Maria etched above the arch told you that this was the gateway to the outside world. You were nearly blinded by the light as it cascaded down upon you like a waterfall. Birds flew overheard creating shadows that danced across the backs of the horses in front of you. 

"Wow!"

You heard the voice of a young girl echo your thoughts. Looking over your shoulder you saw the shimmering emerald eyes of a scrappy looking redhead. Her face was of pure childlike wonder as she took in the wilderness around her. 

"Yeah," a boy with dirty blond hair sighed happily from his horse beside her.

"Not bad," A male voice added from in front of you. His jet black hair wavered in the breeze as his eyes locked onto the azure sky above him. 

"What are you doing?" A soldier suddenly snapped, Her harsh brown eyes bored into the red haired girl "Don't lose your focus! We're not here to sight-see. There's no telling when we could run into a titan,"

The red head laughed, "If we do see one, we'll clean it right up for you!" she grinned widely

"You're only able to talk like that because you've never seen a titan before," The soldier continued "You have no idea just how many good soldiers have been eaten,"

"Titan sighted!"

Your focus snapped forward after the warning was shouted. Your heart leaped into your chest, as you stared at his horrifying joyful smile.

"That's....a titan?" You heard the blonde boy ask

"Two 10 meter titans are heading towards us from behind!"

Straining your head back you saw the said titans crashing through the forest, knocking down trees as if they were blades of grass.

A red flare shoots off ahead of you and the men in front fly through the air with their swords in hand. One was killed instantly as a titan jumped up bit his body in half. The other soldier didn't falter, speeding through the air to land the killing blow to the titans neck. 

"Incredible!" The red headed girl says in awe

"They're more impressive than the Military Police!" the blonde added.

"They're here!" the soldier yelled, readying her swords.

Before she could make a move something speed past you and towards the titans.

"Levi!" the blonde yelps in surprise.

Your eyes widen at the recognition of his name.

"Let's do this Isabel!" The blond shouted to the young girl

"Right Furlan!" the red head answered, her face tightening in determination as they both turned their horses around. You were quick to follow, kicking your heels into your horse to pick up it's pace.

With incredible speed, Levi flew off his horse, swinging through the titan's legs and soaring above its neck. In the blink of an eye the titan crashed to the ground, blood shooting out it's severed neck.

Not a moment later you saw your other companions shoot off their horses. The blond narrowly dodged the other titan's hand but Isabel was not so lucky. She was quick to free herself, however, as she sliced through the titan's hand. Not a moment later you saw the blonde cut through the titan's neck. The both landed safely on the ground before running over to Levi. 

"How's that Levi?" Furlan asked proudly

"We did it, Bro! We did it!" Isabel cheered, her childlike smile returning.

You look to the raven before you. His grey eyes softened from shock into relief. "Yeah...you guys did well," However, his scowl quickly returned when some of the soldiers approached. Turning to face them you were surprised to see Erwin, although he looked considerably younger than how you remembered him.