Chapter 6

I got up the next morning. The house was quiet. I checked the time, it was 9:30AM! That meant Stephen was here! I smiled as I got up! I put up my hair and got dressed. Then I headed to the kitchen and had some breakfast.

"Hello Miss! How...are....you feeling?" Este asked.

"I'm okay, thank you Este! How are you?"

"I very good and happy Miss, thank.....you."

"Your welcome! Do you happen to know where Stephen is?" I asked.

"Umm...I think he...in... stable houses..." Este said.

"Oh okay! Thanks Este!"

I grab my cardigan again and go outside. I see Stephen standing there writing something in his notebook. The snow has mostly melted today so I get to him easily.

"Hey..." I say.

Stephen looks up and closes his notebook.

"Hey!" He replies.

"Is that your secret notebook that you keep your poems in?" I ask.

"Maybe...but you'll never read them.." he replied slyly.

"Haha yes I will..." I reach out to grab it but he moves it to his other hand. I reach again and he puts it on top of his head. I laugh.

"Come on! Please let me read your poems! At least one!" I laughed.

"Well... if you let me read one of your poems then I'll let you read one of mine.." he says.

"Hmm...okay. Fine." I say. "I can bring my notebook out to you and I'll choose one for you to read!"

"No way! I'll choose one!" He chuckles.

I roll my eyes.

"Fine..." I giggle.

I go through my secret spot to the library and I quickly grab the notebook and go back. When I return, I see my other neighbor, Augustine, flirting with Stephen.

"Anyways, yeah. I'm like really cool and like my exes all miss me like so much...." she giggles with her annoying laugh. I can tell Stephen is very uncomfortable. Augustine is very annoying.

"Hey Augustine! I see you've met my stable boy, Stephen. Anyways, Stephen, I need you to help me with something!" I say quickly.

"But I'm talking to-" he starts.

"Well I need you now!" I say.

"...okay..I've got to go, bye Augustine! Talk to you later." He says.

"Oh...ok...bye." She says sadly as she goes back home.

I smile at Stephen.

"Your welcome." I say.

"What?"

"I got annoying Augustine to leave." I say.

"Well, I was actually having fun talking to her..". He says a matter of factly.

"Wait really?" I asked embarrassed.

"Yes." He says angrily.

I take a step back and tug at my cardigan nervously. I know I should trust Stephen but I can't trust anyone when they're angry. I slowly walk backwards and when he moves his hand to scratch his head I flinch. He looks confused at first but then realizes. He slowly puts his hands on my face and walks towards me.

"...hey..." he says. "look at me."

I look up into his beautiful eyes.

"I will never, ever, ever, hurt you.." he says quietly. He smiles at me. "I might get angry sometimes but I won't try to hurt you...I promise."

He leads me to the back of the stables where no one can see us and he kisses me.

"Now, stop being jealous of someone who could never compare to you and show me your poems." He says.

I blush as I open my notebook and give it to him.

"Hmm...I don't know which one...." he says.

I laugh.

"I'll just randomly open one up." He says. He closes the book then opens it on a random page. He clears his throat as he reads the poem.

"Gray November
I've been down since July
Motion capture
Put me in a bad light

I replay my footsteps on each stepping stone
Trying to find the one where I went wrong
Writing letters
Addressed to the fire

And I was catching my breath
Staring out an open window
Catching my death
And I couldn't be sure
I had a feeling so peculiar
That this pain would be for
Evermore"

I hide my face. This one was about John. I wrote it a few months ago.

Stephen didn't say anything. He just grabbed me and pulled me in for a tight embrace. I didn't say anything either, I just held on to him since he made me feel safe.

I pulled away after a few seconds.

"Stephen?" I asked.

"Yeah...?"

"I think we need to talk..."

I lead him to my secret spot and we both sat down.

"Hey...so...what did you want to talk about..." he asked.

"...us." I replied timidly.

"Okay but before you say anything, i really like you and I know I don't deserve you but please don't end this." He begs.

"Okay...but we have to talk still..."

"Okay.." he gulps.

"I'm married. I have been for the past year. Johns been the only guy I've been with. This...it isn't right.."

"Neither is abuse..." Stephen quietly said. "You need someone, Dorothea. You can't keep living like this, that poem? It makes me feel horrible for you. You deserve happiness... and I think I can give that to you..."

"Happiness doesn't exist. All those happy ever afters, they aren't real. I thought I had that with John and look what happened. I don't believe in true love after what happened with us...if it's with you and me, we'll be happy for two weeks before we crumble down."

"That's not true... that isn't how love always is!"

"It is!"

"You've only been with one guy, you don't know that!"

"Yeah...well! I...I..."

"Dorothea, please. Let's give it a try. If in 2 weeks were unhappy then I'll leave..."

I sighed.

"Okay. 2 weeks..." I agreed.

"Great, now can we get to the kissing part?" He asked.

I laughed.

"Yes, we can.."

I leaned in to kiss him but before, I whispered,

"Ohh..goddamn..."