Chapter 4 - Waiting's quite boring ya know

I am bored beyond belief. I tried everything: I attempted to think about the reasons that could have made me land up here, I tried listening to music, F.R.I.D.A.Y. even did me an exhaustive news roundup. All that in the span of two hours. Two hours and we covered it all, world news I tell you! I can't take it anymore. I mean, come on! Stark could have at least...I don't know, did something...like...leave some books or anything in this stupid cell!

Let's sum it all up. It is nine in the morning. I'm bored to death. It is the second day I'm here. I'm not a genius but, adding one and one, I am pretty sure it's gonna be veeeeery long until... until what? I have to wait until Stark decides to either let me go, or interrogate me, or I don't fucking know! Calm down Inès, calm down, all this is not good for my blood pressure man! Gosh dammit, what could take them so long to make their mind about!

Speak about the devil, a very angry Thor, two very confused Natasha and Tony and a silent –too silent, like deadly silent– Loki enters the room.

"You!", Thor barks.

"Me!", I smirk. I don't know what this is all about but I'm gonna enjoy myself and very happily make a fool of him. Judging by Loki's grin I'm on the right path.

"Do not play this game puny mortal, and you, brother, do not you dare laugh", he scolds, "now you are going to tell us how you retrieved the Tesseract from Odin's Vault!"

"The Tesse-what?"

"Are you saying that you do not know what the Tesseract is", Thor asks incredulously.

I know perfectly what the Tesseract is. It is one of the most powerful items of Odin's Vault alongside the Eternal Flame and the Casket of Ancient Winters, as it is the container of the Space Stone, but he does not need to know that I know that. I can see that Tony and Natasha are more confused than ever.

"Brother, this Midgardian, as surprising as it sounds, knows perfectly what the Tesseract is, she is lying to you", Loki interrupts.

"Oh, you're ruining all the fun", I pout, "I do not thank you, Lord of mischief, I relied on your discretion when reading my mind."

"God, the god of mischief please", he responds, quite offended as I judge by his tone.

"Yeah, whatever you say–"

"I asked you a question! How did you come in possession of the Tesseract, answer now", growls Thor.

"Let me make myself very clear," I snap back, "I didn't steal anything from anyone, the Tesseract is, I bet my life on it, still on Asgard and I don't know how I ended up here, so if you all don't mind I would gladly appreciate that you don't come screaming in my face like that, understood?"

"Wow Inès, remind me to never annoy you", Natasha states chuckling.

We can hear a pin drop, the three boys are astounded, to say the least, speechless even. Thor has rooted on the spot, gaping. Tony is looking back and forth between Natasha and me, and Loki is staring at me.

"What, never had someone tell you some home truths puny god?"

I decide to go sit on the bed, exhausted by this sudden burst of anger. They are still frozen. I roll my eyes and hear Natasha chuckle. I smile and lift a brow, "what? does no one ever talk back to them like that?"

"No, not really, I mean, most of us have had some outbursts towards Tony and we, for sure, already heard Thor come at Loki but no one never, ever, had the guts to yell at Thor like that", she giggles.

"Well, better get used to it because I don't let anyone talk to me like that, god or not."

"I am starting to not dislike you", we hear a sudden voice. It is Loki. It seems he is the only one who remains, Thor and Tony have left.

"Loki...", Natasha warns.

"What, I did not say anything offending, I just find her interesting, and quite reckless to say the least for shouting at my brother like that."

"I'm not reckless, little lord of mischief, I am in the high-security cell of the Avengers' Compound," I state lifting a brow, "I am perfectly aware that it is made to be indestructible as from inside as from outside, so I knew very much that I didn't risk anything." There is a silence as I let my words sink in. "Now if you may, I would want to talk to Natasha in private."

"Wow feisty with that", he smirks.

"Inès might not be in position to kick your ass because she is in this cell, but I, on the contrary, am very much capable of doing so and you start getting on my nerves, so if I were you I would consider leaving...now."

"Fine, fine, I will be going", he whines as leaving.

Natasha and I don't say a word as we wait for him to go out. When he is, we both look at each other and suddenly burst laughing.

"Wha– what– what was that", I ask trying to catch my breath.

"I don't know", Natasha is holding herself as she laughs, "I never saw him so swiftly leave after being asked."

"The O so mighty God of mischief whining, because he is asked to leave, is really a sight for sore eyes", I croak, my throat sore after the laughter.

"True." She says drying her tears and composing herself. "What did you wanted to talk to me about?"

"It's kinda difficult to say and you're probably not gonna believe me."

"Well you won't know that until you tell me, you know I had my fair share of weird stuff."

"When Loki told Thor I was lying earlier, he read my mind and he– he was right." She stiffens as I continue. "I lied when I said I didn't know what the Tesseract was, I know what it is but I swear to you I did not take it, I just– it's complicated." I sigh before standing and coming nearer Natasha.

"Well I can't say I did not expect you to lie", she sounds so defeated it hurts me.

"Nat, listen, I just– I have knowledge about this world but I don't know how, it really confuses me, I– it's almost as if all I can remember is that, but no matter how hard I try the only question I cannot answer is who am I?"