Chapter 7 - Turbulent awakening

Oh, God, it hurts. Every inch of my body hurts. I feel like I had been run over by a truck. Several times. I hear indistinct chatter around me.

I open my eyes. At first, I am blinded by the light and then I start seeing what's surrounding me. Oh. My. Goodness. I can't believe it. As if meeting Hawkeye, Ironman, Natasha, and the Asgardian Gods weren't enough there is, standing before me, Captain America and the flippin' Hulk. What the frickin' hell! God, I have to calm down. Be cool, act cool Inès. As I start to think more clearly I realize that Natasha is beside me and is holding my hand. Her clothes are crumpled so I deduce that she spent several hours at least in the same position.

And then a strong voice booming.

"Who's that?"

It's Steve. As I go to speak I realize there is something in my throat and it makes me gag. I squeeze Natasha's hand to draw her attention and she turns towards me.

"Inès! Tony, she's awake!"

"Already", he asks bewildered turning toward me, "oh wait I'm gonna get this out of you...open your mouth...it's not gonna be pleasing sorry...just a minute...all done!"

"Thank you Tony", I manage to croak. "And to answer your question Steven Grant Rogers, I am fine, thank you very much for your concern", I reply in annoyance. He frowns. Oh, it looks so out of place on his face, like if a puppy were trying to act scary. I cough and Nat hands me a glass of water. It feels like a divine nectar to my sore throat. As I drink it slowly she explains what happened to me for everyone's attention. I watch as the look of confusion turns into pity and back to confusion. How funny it is to observe all that. I feel as if I was blind to their expressions and discover them for the first time. Maybe it's because I've only known these people by movies and comics before. But the faces they put are just...hilarious to witness.

"So who are you", he asks a second time.

"Wow Capsicle, has seventy years as an ice cube watered-down your brain? Do you need an EEG?"

"An EE– Stark what is she talking about?"

"That's a good one! D'you allow me to use it Inès?"

"Be my guest Tony!" I turn back to Rogers. "Didn't Natasha already answered your question", I ask lifting a brow.

"I want to hear it from you", he replies folding his arms. Oh dear Lord. Those arms, I'm glad he is wearing a tee-shirt. Focus Inès. Back to the subject. What did he just ask for?

"Well, I– um I'm a girl, I speak French, English and some German, I love science and reading, I am quite good at poking my nose into other's business, I always find out secrets without even trying, and oh I was about to forget! I love sushi and spinach weirdly enough, want to know anything else Capsicle?" I offer him a lopsided grin.

He looks taken aback at my sudden torrent of words and still wary. Nobody's speaking and we could cut the atmosphere in the room with a knife. I look at Nat and she has a faint smile on her lips. She must have sensed I was looking at her because she looks at me with curiosity.

"Could you explain what happened to me, please? I just had the time to ask F.R.I.D.A.Y. for help and then nothing", I trail off.

Her smile disappears. "Well, you had broken ribs and one of 'em went through your lung, you had to undergo surgery and all that."

"Oh...oh...okay, so how is it that I can't feel a thing? I mean shouldn't it be like, an awful lot of pain?"

"Yes, it should, but I gave you quite the dose of painkillers, you will be good for another few hours", Tony winks, "can I ask what happened? F.R.I.D.A.Y. woke me up saying you were passed out", he frowns.