chapter 21: familiarity

Eloise woke up to the sound of rocks hitting her window

Thud. Thud. Thud!

Eloise groaned, rolling over and getting out of her bed. She made way to her window and slowly opened it to hear what Carl had to say. "What?" She whined, a little cranky from just waking up.

"Someone's in my house." Carl whisper yelled across the way, waking up Eloise. "What?!" Carl shook his head, bringing a finger to his lips to tell her to be quiet. "Just have everyone come over." Eloise nodded and ran out of her room and towards Daryl's.

She quickly shook him awake and he jumped, once he realized it was Eloise, he calmed down. "What do you want?" "Someone's in Carl's house." Daryl huffed, stuffing his face into his pillow. "Yeah, Carl."

Eloise rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "No. Not Carl." Daryl was quiet for a second before shooting up from the bed, mumbling curse words under his breath. "What? What is it?" "It's Jesus." Daryl huffed, grabbing her arm and tugging her out of the house. "What about Jace and Carol?" Eloise asked as they walked towards everyone else's houses. "We're letting 'em sleep in."

Once Daryl and Eloise got the rest of the group, they all ran to the Grimes house and barged in, running up the stairs until they saw Carl, pointing his gun at a man with long hair and a beanie.

Daryl pushed Eloise behind him slightly, raising his crossbow higher at the man. Rick and Michonne came walking out of Rick's room, Eloise instantly slapping her hands to her mouth at both of them in disheveled clothing, obviously having a fun night before. Rick gave Eloise a quick look, shutting her up as Michonne turned to the rest of the group. "It's okay. It's okay."

"You said we should talk. So let's talk." Rick said as he grabbed the mans wrists from behind and walked him down the stairs to the kitchen table. "So, how'd you get out?" The man shrugged. "One guard can't cover two exits... Or third floor windows. Knots untie and locks get picked. Entropy comes from order, right?"

Rick nodded his head, obviously annoyed with the man. "Right." "I checked out your arsenal. Haven't seen anything like that in a long time. You're well-equipped, but your provisions are low. Very low for the amount of people you have. 54?"

"More than that." Maggie glared and Jesus hummed. "I appreciate the cookie. My compliments to the chef." "She's not here." Eloise spoke up, giving the man a tight lipped smile. "Look, we got off to a bad start. But we're on the same side. The living side. You and Rick had every reason to leave me out there, but you didn't. I'm from a place that's a lot like this one. Part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with. I took your truck because my community needs things, and both of you look like trouble. I was wrong. You're good people. And this is a good place. I think our communities may be in a position to help each other."

"Do you have food?" Glenn quickly asked. "We started to raise livestock. We scavenge. We grow. Everything from tomatoes to sorghum." "Tell us why we should believe you." Rick said, Eloise and Carl both leaning over the table a little bit to hear his next words. "I can show you. If we take a car, I can take you back home in a day, and you can all see yourselves who we are and what we have to offer."

"Wait. You're looking for more settlements. You mean you're already trading with other groups?"

Jesus smirked at Maggie's question, leaning back into his chair. "Your world is about to get a whole lot bigger."

...

"You sure you don't wanna come? There's enough room for ya' in the RV." Daryl asked as he threw his crossbow over his shoulder. Eloise shook her head, bringing a hand to her eyebrows, to block the sun from her eyes. "Yeah, I'll stay here with Carol. She wanted to make a bunch of treats for everyone here and last time she was left alone with only Jace for help, the house almost burnt down."

Daryl nodded, looking to the ground. Eloise stared at Daryl for a minute before throwing her arms around his shoulders. "Be careful, please." She whispered into his vest and she could feel him nod his head, patting her back and pulling her away. He gave her one last little grunt goodbye before walking into the trailer.

...

The group had made a dead with Hilltops leader, Gregory, to kill the saviors. They were walking back to their RV to head back home when Daryl stopped in his tracks, recognizing someone working by the corn. Rick furrowed his brows and walked over to Daryl, turning his head to see where he was looking. "What'cha looking at?" Daryl squinted his eyes, pointing at the man. "Him. He looks familiar..." Rick glared at the guy, trying to get a better look before tapping Jesus' shoulder. "Who's that?"

Jesus looked at the man they were looking at and smiled. "That's Jasper. He's kind of new. Found him all dirtied up in the woods a few months back, took him in. He's still trying to earn his keep."

Daryl finally realized where he knew Jasper from and turned to Jesus, just to make sure. "Did you ever get a last name?" Rick turned to Daryl with a confused face until Jesus answered.

"Atkinson."

Rick, finally realizing who he was, dragged his hand down his face. "We need to talk to him." Jesus scrunched his face at the men. "Why do you-" "He's Eloise's brother." Rick interrupted, making Jesus' eyes grow wide and nod his head. "Go ahead."

Daryl and Rick made their way over to the man. Jasper, finally realizing the men walking towards him, he slowly stopped working and looked at them. "Jasper. I'm Rick Grimes. I was wondering if Daryl and I could speak with you for a moment." Jasper nodded his head and Daryl spoke up. "We know your sister. Eloise."

Jasper practically jumped at the name. "Louie? Yo- You know Louie?" Rick nodded. "She's back at our community. Alexandria." Jasper looked at the two men in confusion. "How'd you know who I was?" "Lou, she keeps this photo of you two in 'er pocket. That's how I recognized you."

"So she's okay?" Jasper asked slowly and Rick nodded his head. "Yeah, she was on her own the first couple of months you two separated but then she met us."

"Daryl! Rick! Let's go!" Abraham screamed and Jasper quickly turned to Daryl and Rick. Rick nodded his head to the RV. "Come on." Jasper took in a deep breath as they walked away, he slowly reached into his back pocket and pulled out the same photo Eloise carried. He smiled down at the photo, rubbing his thumb over their smiling faces. "I found you."

He quickly folded the paper back into his pocket and headed off to the RV.

...

Daryl slouched down into the passenger seat as Rick sat in the drivers seat. "Nice job recognizing him. Lou's gonna be real happy to have him back." Rick hummed out, keeping his eyes on the road. Daryl huffed, nodding. "You know. You're good with Lou. Almost like she's your kid." Rick startled laughing as Daryl shook his head in denial. "She ain't my kid."

"I never said she was your kid. I said you act like she's your kid. You know what that means?" Rick asked, smirking and Daryl just barely turned to him. "What?" "Our kids love each other." Rick said in baby-talk and Daryl groaned.

"She ain't my kid."

—NHDJDBFJDJD JASPERRRRRIK this chapter wasn't much Carl and Eloise but I have been waiting to post this one for a while and i'm happy to say JASPER IS BACK AND WELL! let's see his Lou will react 👀

IK this chapter wasn't much Carl and Eloise but I have been waiting to post this one for a while and i'm happy to say JASPER IS BACK AND WELL!
let's see his Lou will react 👀