prologue

Two Months Prior

"Rock beats scissors! We've been over this, Louie

"Rock beats scissors! We've been over this, Louie." Jasper groaned as he and Eloise walked down the train tracks playing rock, paper, scissors to pass time.

"Clearly you haven't played with me. I cheat." Eloise shot at her brother. Jasper threw his head back, groaning at her words. "Oh, the things I'd give to have my sister not be a nerd." Eloise quickly spun around, hitting her brother against his shoulder. "Jerk."

"Nerd." Jasper quickly shot back. Just as Eloise was about to make another snarky comment, the moans of roamers filled the air.

The siblings tensed up, hearing all the roamers, they knew there was more than 40 coming at them from their right side. Jasper turned to his sister, pressing his finger to his lips to tell her to keep quiet and motioned for her to follow him.

As they walked away for the herd, another one could be heard just ahead of them. Eloise spun around and saw as they slowly started to get surrounded.

Jasper quickly handed his sister his knife and took out his silenced gun ready to fight. Eloise did their normal routine when they ever got surrounded, kill any roamer getting too close and once your away from all of them, meet back up.

It was a stupid technique but it somehow always worked.

Once Eloise got through the herd. She took in her surroundings, she was still on the train tracks but no Jasper in sight. She looked back at where the herd once was and saw they had already moved on as if they weren't there at all. There was no trace of Jasper anywhere, no sound, no roamers, nothing around her except tons of trees.

Eloise grumbled under her breath before walking off the tracks and into the woods. Maybe Jasper went into the woods so the roamers wouldn't see him. As she continued walking, listening for any footsteps crunching leaves beside her own, she reached a wired gate, a nice settled home behind it.

Stepping onto the lawn, she could already hear the loud roamers groaning inside so she circled the house, trying to look through windows and finally finding an empty room with no roamers in it.

She quickly opened the window and crawled in, settling her duffel bag down beside the nicely made bed with a red headed doll perched up on the pillows.

Eloise decided in that moment that she would stay there. Everyday she would go out and look for Jasper, knowing once she finds him, she could show him to house and they could stay there for good.

Eloise did that everyday for two months and still never saw a sign of Jasper Atkinson anywhere.

this was just a little get to know what happened before the first chapter. This book might be a little bad at the start but I promise it'll get better!