chapter 3: terminus

"We're close

"We're close. I'm gonna get you three there. Make sure you're safe. But I'm not gonna stay." Carol muttered. Eloise whipped her head around to look at the woman, her face holding a confused and saddened expression.

"What? You're not coming?" Carol shook her head, biting her lip. "No. No, I'm not."

"But-" "No buts, Eloise. I'm not going." Carol interrupted the girl before she could get her first word halfway out.

The sounds of leaving crunching and snarls of a walker echo through the woods from behind the them. Eloise watches as Carol walks over to the walker, stabbing it in the head before looking off into the woods. "More." She whispered to Tyreese and Eloise, making the young girl tighten her grip around Judith in her arms and running off to the opposite side of the train tracks, hiding behind a small hill of dirt.

Eloise watched as more than 30 walkers walked towards them. Just as the creatures were going to pass the train tracks to get to them, gunshots fired in the air from a distance and every walker turned all of it attention on the loud noise and slowly stumbling towards it.

Once the coast was clear, they crept back towards the train tracks, Eloise humming a small tune into Judith's ear so she won't cry.

"That gunfire. It could've been from Terminus." Tyreese said as he turned towards the two girls, taking one of Eloise's duffel bags from her around her shoulder so she wouldn't have to carry so much with Judith.

"Someone was attacking them." Eloise suggested as she bounced Judith on her hip. "Or they were attacking someone." Carol suggested, "I don't think I want to find out." Eloise muttered as she looked up at Carol. "But we need to." Eloise spoke again, her voice sound more fierce then before. Carol looked down at the girl and nodded her head.

"There's another track due east. It'll get us there. We'll be real careful. We're gonna get answers." Tyreese and Eloise nodded at Carol's idea and they began their journey.

Eloise didn't know much about their group, just that they had all got separated after bad men tried to take their home. They never brought up any names but Tyreese told her when they left the house that two of the people in their group were Judith's father and brother, making her determined to find the group so little Judith could have her family back.

Eloise readjusted Judith in her arms a third time since they had left the train tracks and her eyes settled on an old, beat up cabin, and a man setting up fireworks, talking to someone on his radio.

"Alex didn't get it. See, I knew the chick with the sword was bad news. Bitch looked like a weapon with a weapon."

Eloise turned to Tyreese, her face silently asking if the woman with the sword was in their group and he nodded his head as they crept closer to the man, Eloise staying behind the adults since she was holding Judith.