chapter 11: fluttering

Eloise was lying on her bed, throwing a little tennis ball in the air back and forth as her records played on a loop

Ever since the night of the block party, only one thing could go threw her head. Carl. Or more specifically, the way she felt when his arms. She knew the feeling, she had never felt it before from the world crumbling around her at a young age but she knew what it was from books and movies. She started to have a crush on Carl Grimes, her best friend.

Her mind started to replay moments that didn't give her butterflies when it happened but looking back on them, she practically melted.

A sudden knock on her door rang through the air as Tara and Noah peaked their heads into the room. "Hey, we're heading out for a run with Glenn. I just wanted to tell you so don't go looking for us, not knowing where we are." Tara told the girl and Eloise smiled, sitting up, propping her self up on her headboard.

"Okay, see ya!" Eloise smiled and Tara immediately returned the gesture before walking down the hallway and out of the room but Noah stayed, opening the door a bit more.

"You know, I'm expecting an uno rematch when I get back!" Noah declared, pointing an accusing finger at Eloise. "You're just mad that I always win." She taunted, a big smirk growing on her face, making the boy immediately shake his head no.

"Are you accusing me of being a sore loser? I swear you cheat."

"I don't cheat!" Eloise screamed, trying to defend herself. "Really? Then how do you manage to get every +4 card in the deck? Every round?" Noah questioned, raising his eyebrows as he leaned on the doorway, arms crossed.

Eloise innocently shrugged. "Guess it's just Lou's Luck." Noah scoffed, pushing himself off the doorway. "Yeah. I call bullshit on your 'Lou's Luck' but whatever." Just as Noah was about to walk away, he peaked his head back into the room, tapping the side of the doorframe to get Lou's attention.

"Also, Carl's here." Eloise furrowed her brows, sitting up, crossing her legs to face the boy. "Carl's here? How long has he been here?" Noah pursed his lips and squinted his eyes as he looked at the ceiling, pretending to be thinking. "He's been sitting on the couch for... about an hour."

Eloise practically shot out of bed. "An hour?! Why didn't you tell me?"

"I told him you were asleep, I wanted to see how long it would take for him to just barge in here."

Suddenly a voice broke down the hallway. "Did she finally wake up?" A sarcastic Carl asked as he walked up to stand beside Noah before turning to face Eloise who was still sitting on her bed.

"I should get going. See you guys later." Noah said, giving each of them a final smile as he walked out the door. A smirk grew on Carl's face as he jumped on the bed beside Eloise, putting his hands up to the back of his head as he lied down. "Good morning." Carl sarcastically greeted as Eloise immediately smirked back at him. "I've been up since before you go here."