chapter 35: double agents

"Are we sure this is a good idea?" Jace asked, turning to his right where Carl and Eloise stood beside him on the watch tower

Carl and Eloise slowly turned to Jace, Carl shrugging as Eloise huffed. "Best plan we've got."

"Rosita, Jasper. Get into position. I'll signal you. And the wall's gonna hold?" Rick asked, looking down from the watch post to look at Rosita and Jasper who nodded. "It'll hold." Rosita yelled as a voice rang through the distance.

"All points are covered. Every contingency is already met."

Lou's head shot up at the familiar voice. Eugene being the one talking. "What the hell?" Eloise mumbled as Eugene continued.

"I come armed with two barrels of the truth. A test is upon you, and I'm giving out the cheat sheet. H-hello. I come salved with the hope that it is my dropped knowledge that you heed. Options are zero to none. Compliance and fealty are your only escape. Bottom-lining it... you may thrive, or you may die. I sincerely wish for the former for everyone's sake. The jig is up and in full effect. Will you comply, Rick?" Eugene voiced as Eloise gripped her gun tighter, shaking her head.

"Where's Negan?" Rick snarled and Eugene lifted his head higher. "I'm Negan."

Eloise looked down to Rosita and Jasper. Jasper looked up to Eloise, nodding his head as Rosita pressed the bottom to the explosive. Eloise squeezed her eyes shut in anticipation but nothing happened.

Suddenly, she felt a cold metal on the back of her head and the click of a gun. She slowly turned her head and saw one the Scavengers pointing their gun at Carl and she could see the legs of one of them behind her, making her curse under her breath.

"You ever hear the one about the stupid little prick named Rick who thought he knew shit but didn't know shit and got everyone he that gave a shit about killed? It's about you. You're all gonna wanna put your guns down now." Negan called out and Rick immediately shakes his head.

"No one drops anything. We had a deal." Rick said, turning to Jadis for his last sentence who just shrugged. "Tamiel came for the boat things. Followed ones who took. Made a better deal."

Eloise could hear Negan's chuckle. "You push me, and you push me. And you push me, Rick. You just tried to blow us up, right? I mean, I get me, my people. But Eugene? He's one of yours."

Eloise bit her lip angrily as he continued. "And after what he did- he stepped up. You people... are animals. Universe gives you a sign, and you just shove your finger right up its ass. Dwight, Simon, chop-chop."

Eloise heard rustling, she looked down at Jasper and Rosita and grew worried at their wide eyes. "So, you don't like Eugene anymore. You guys gotta like Sasha. I do, too." Negan said and Eloise froze.

"Got her right here packaged for your convenience, alive and well. Now, I brought her so I wouldn't have to kill all of you, and not killing all of you could get complicated." Negan yelled and Carl slowly stood up, making Eloise and Jace follow after him.