2. I have a talk with old ladies

The weeks at Yancy flew by and it got even more confusing. All the lessons, all the classes, I have gone through them before. I don't know why I was redoing sixth grade but what I did know was that I hated it.

I played along with the 'Mrs Kerr' fiasco. I knew Chiron had put up some Mist around everyone at Yancy so I went with it. The last time...well, I was pretty sure I found out too early.

Also, Grover was a terrible liar. I could read him like a book.

I refused to do anything in my classes since I had actually done them already. The teachers would constantly ask me why I didn't do the homework they assigned and I would say I already did it. It was fun seeing how my teachers would get so confused, they would forget how to speak. 

I would attend my classes as scheduled and I would continue in the same manner. The teachers would ask me questions and I would ignore them. Soon enough, the principal sent my mum the letter saying I wouldn't be returning to Yancy next year.

I wasn't even worried. I didn't want to go through Yancy a third time and I needed to be expelled from the school. I had my suspicions but my gut told me to do everything that I had already done.

The night before my finals, I was chilling in the dorm room waiting for Grover. He said he needed to talk to Mr Brunner about the Latin exam but I knew he was going to talk about me. I laid there on my bed, the Cambridge Guide to Greek Mythology face down on my chest. I tried to think of anything, anything, that might have brought me back. I shifted through my memories, trying to think of anything or anyone that would have the power to do what should have been impossible. Obviously, it came up blank.

I didn't even notice when Grover returned to the dorm. He silently sat on his bed as I tried to gather my thoughts.

'Are you okay?' Grover asked me. I smiled at his concern.

'Yeah, I'm fine,' I said as I stretched my arms 'Just thinking about the Latin exam tomorrow.'

That wasn't entirely true. The Latin exam was easy now that I actually knew the language and Greek history. Annabeth had taught me some at Camp Half-Blood. My eyes widened. 

Annabeth.

If Grover was here, did that mean Annabeth was there as well? Not at Yancy but at Camp. My heart raced at the possibility. And if Annabeth really was alive, did that mean everyone else I had failed would still be alive too?

'What are you thinking, Percy?' Grover asked, snapping me to reality. I must have made a weird face because Grover was looking at me worried and a little confused.

I mentally cursed. Satyrs could read emotions. My emotions must have been a mess at that time.

'Dude, I'm fine,' I said trying for an upbeat tone 'Just a bit tired. We should probably go to bed now.'

Grover looked at me a while longer before he relented, 'Yeah, we probably should.'

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I left the classroom feeling rather good about myself. I had actually remembered at least half of the exam! Before I could congratulate myself more, Mr Brunner called me inside.

'Percy,' he said 'Don't be discouraged about leaving Yancy. It's...for the best.'

I couldn't help but smile. Here he was, a millennia-old teacher that sucked at these types of talks. Thinking about all his rather sad attempts at consoling someone or giving people pep talks caused laughter bubbling up in me. It took everything in me not to laugh in front of the people finishing their test.