3. I hate cows

I had to pretend I was surprised to see goat legs on Grover. I was trying not to laugh the whole time. It was even funnier when I pretended I didn't know what satyrs were and called him half donkey. I will never forget the look on his face.

As the car raced down the road, flashes of lightning lit up the interior of Gabe's Camaro. The windshield wipers were at the highest setting but they did nothing to clear the rain. I watched a little nervously as my mum took a hard left into the road leading to Camp, the tires squelching in the mud. The paint job of Gabe's Camaro was definitely destroyed now.

My head hit the window as my mum swerved to avoid a dark shape. I rubbed my head cursing as I stuck my head above the headrest. I could see the large shape lumbering towards us, but just barely. The rain and the flickering light from lightning didn't help.

'We're almost there,' I heard my mother said, looking through the side-view mirrors. 'Another mile. Please. Please. Please.'

'Hey, Grover?' I pretended to ask timidly.

'Yeah?' he bleated nervously.

'What am I?'

Before he could answer, the hair on the back off my neck stood straight up. Grover must have felt it too because I saw him tense. My eyes flitted to my mum as I immediately called upon my powers. I used the water still covering our bodies to form a sort of liquid cushioning. Just as the last of the water flew up from the seats, a bright flash of light illuminated our surroundings. I braced myself as a jaw-rattling boom sounded off and our car flipped.

I ignored the tug in my gut as I focused on keeping the water around my mum and Grover intact. The car skidded along the road on the driver's-side doors before stopping in a patch of mud. As soon as the car stopped moving, I let my control on the water dissipate and the water flowed onto the windows.

'Ow.' I said. It was best to keep the act going.

'Percy!' my mum almost screamed. Thankfully neither her nor Grover noticed the water shield I placed on them

'I'm okay,' I groaned as I looked behind me. 'Grover?'

'I'm here,' a small voice squeaked. I let out a sigh of relief.

I peeled myself off of my mum as I tried to open the passenger door. I probably should have put my seatbelt on. As another bolt of lightning flashed in the distance, a large shape caught my eye. I looked out the rear windshield to see the silhouette of the Minotaur stalking towards us.

Grover was tugging at the door handle but it wasn't budging. I pushed with all of my strength against the passenger door but it was as stuck as Grover's door. I took a deep breath and willed some water to aid me in getting the door open. I let the water outside the car form a hand and positioned it at the door handle outside. With one more push, the door blew open.

'Mum, Grover, come on!' I said as quietly as I could. I didn't want to attract the Minotaur's attention earlier than I wanted.

'Percy, you have to-'

'No, mum!' I interrupted as I helped Grover out of the overturned car 'You're coming with me!'

She hesitated but crawled out after Grover. I looked back at the Minotaur before scrambling out the door. As soon as my feet hit the wet dirt road, a loud roar reached my ears. I ran towards Thalia's pine tree just as the bull-man reached the car and picked it up. I heard the car explode behind me but I continued running.

'Hurry!' Grover panted 'We're almost there!'

I could see the camp borders in front of me but they were too far. The Minotaur would catch us before we could even reach Thalia's tree.