22. Gotta love Bessie

Taking the Oracle back up to the attic was something I didn't want to do but nobody else bothered to volunteer so naturally, they volunteered me. Unfortunately for Grover, he got caught in the crossfire. 

The meeting was held in the same place it always has been: the Big House rec room. Walking in, I had to dodge a flying cracker thrown like a shuriken. Travis Stoll gave me a cheeky grin.

The room was emptier than usual, but that was only because it was winter. Most of the campers were away from camp during the winter. Not to mention all of the injuries that were inflicted by the Hunters during the game.

I looked around and took note of the head councillors that had shown up. Beckendorf was sitting next to Silena Beauregard with his arms crossed. The Stoll brothers were trying to discreetly get a cracker on Mr D's head. They were the only other head counsellors except Thalia and me. The entirety of the Ares cabin was currently recovering in the infirmary.   

You can thank the Hunters for that.

'This is pointless.' Zoë said bluntly. 

She opened her mouth to continue but Grover lunged forward, grabbing the Cheez Whiz on the table. 

'Cheez Whiz!' he cried whilst grabbing crackers and a few ping pong balls. 

'There is no time for talk,' Zoë said annoyed. 'Our goddess needs us. The Hunters must leave immediately.' 

'And go where?' Chiron asked.

'West!' Biance answered. I was sceptical of Bianca being at the meeting but I had no say on whether she should be here or not. That was all up to Zoë since she decided Bianca was now her personal assistant. I just hope that Zoë would have more sense than to bring Bianca on this quest.

'You heard the prophecy,' Bianca continued confidently. 'Five shall go west to the goddess in chains. We get five Hunters and go.'

'Yes,' Zoë nodded in agreement. 'Artemis is being held hostage! We must find her and free her.'

'You're missing something as usual,' Thalia scoffed. 'Campers and Hunters combined prevail. We're supposed to do this together.'

Zoë pursed her lips but stayed silent, which made me raise an eyebrow.

'Thalia is right,' Chiron said. 'Campers and Hunters must cooperate.'

'Or do they?' Mr D spoke up, a can of Diet Coke in his hand. 'One shall be lost. One shall perish. That sounds rather nasty, doesn't it? What if you fail because you try to cooperate?'

I cleared my throat rather loudly, looking pointedly at Mr D.

'Right. Sorry,' he turned back to his magazine. 'Just trying to be helpful.'

'We're supposed to work together,' Thalia repeated. 'I don't like it either, Zoë, but you know prophecies. You want to fight against one?'

Zoë grimaced and I had to hide one myself. I have never had a good experience with prophecies and I doubt I ever will. They were designed to be as cruel and trauma-inducing as possible. Then again, anything done by the Fates was.

'We must not delay,' Chiron urged. 'Today is Sunday. This very Friday, December twenty-first, is the winter solstice.'

'Artemis must be present at the solstice,' Zoë spoke up. 'She has been one of the most vocal on the council arguing for action against Kronos' minions. If she is absent, the gods will decide nothing. We will lose another year of war preparations.'

'Are you suggesting that the gods have trouble acting together, young lady?' Mr D asked with a raised eyebrow. 

'Yep,' I said just as Zoë said, 'Yes, Lord Dionysus.'