15. Betrayal hurts

It wasn't until the sun went down when I finally stood up from the rock I was sitting on. I had no idea how long I was sitting there, but what I did know was that it had been a few hours. Today was the day I was supposed to head home and see my mum again. Today was supposed to be the day that the campers that aren't staying year-round leave for home. In short, I wasn't supposed to be at camp right now.

I stumbled along in the pitch-black darkness towards the Big House using nothing but my memory. I couldn't see a single thing and every noise I heard made me more and more alert. It felt like forever until I finally saw the light at camp. Luke must have taken me far from camp grounds to make sure nobody would find my body.

I stepped onto the porch of the Big House just as the front door swung open, revealing a worried Annabeth and an equally concerned Chiron in his wheelchair behind her. They must have heard my heavy steps from inside and came to investigate.

'Oh, my gods,' Annabeth gasped before tackling me in a hug. As soon as I went to hug her back, she pulled away and slapped me right across the face before looking at me angrily. 'Where have you been?'

'Annabeth, child,' Chiron chastised her softly. 'Let him come inside. I sense that there is something he wants to tell us.'

I nodded at him before turning back to Annabeth, 'Look, I'm sorry I got you guys worried and I'll explain everything if you let me.'

She looked at me quizzically with those grey eyes and my heart clenched painfully at what I was about to tell her. Luke was like a brother to Annabeth, the person that gave her a family when she had needed it the most. I was almost certain that Annabeth had a major crush on Luke so it made it that much harder for her when we found out he was working for Kronos.

Looking back on it now, I can see why she had never given up on Luke, how she would take every opportunity to try and bring him back to us. Being sent back in time made me see how much Luke meant to Annabeth and how much his betrayal had hurt her.

Coming back also made me realise how much Luke's betrayal had hurt me.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts before walking in through the open doors of the Big House. I followed Chiron into the living room area of the building as Annabeth closed the door behind me. Aside from the three of us, the Big House was empty.

'We were extremely worried, Percy,' Chiron spoke up, breaking the tense silence. 'I hope you understand how irresponsible it was to go off like that. Annabeth wouldn't leave before we found you, and I couldn't do anything to stop her.'

I gulped, 'I'm sorry, Chiron. As bad as it sounds, I assure you I have a valid reason.'

He raised an eyebrow before motioning with his hand for me to continue. And so I explained everything.

By the time I was finished with the recount, Annabeth was standing next to me as stiff as a piece of cardboard. Chiron sat in his wheelchair opposite me with a look of defeat on his face, as if he had already known that Luke was going to turn against us.

The silence lasted far longer than I would have liked. Weirdly enough, it was Annabeth who broke the silence.

'I can't believe that Luke...' her voice broke halfway through the sentence. Through the mask of anger she had put on, I could see the shock and sadness lingering in her eyes.

'Yes. Yes, I can believe it. May the gods curse him...' Annabeth took a deep breath. 'He was never the same after his quest.'

'This must be reported to Olympus,' Chiron murmured as he started towards the door. 'I will go at once.'