12. I should stop challenging gods

Being stuck in a twelve-year-old body really sucks. I missed my height, my physical strength and most importantly, my fitness. Twelve-year-old me wasn't exactly what you would call an athlete or a swordfighter. Twelve-year-old me was a skinny boy that had no intention of joining any sports team when I grew up, nor even having the thought of fighting in a war with pointy metal sticks.

In hindsight, I probably should have just talked Ares into giving me back the items of power. I most definitely shouldn't have challenged Ares to a fight to the death knowing that if I screw up just a little bit, I would die. 

And possibly also cause World War Three but that was a minor problem.

Maybe I should have learnt from my mistakes and not challenged Ares again. Unfortunately, I don't have enough of a brain to think.

I watched as time seemed to slow down around me, my feet thumping against the sand one after another as I charged forward to meet Ares. Riptide was gripped in my hand, ready to block the attack that was sure to come. My senses widened even further when the first swing headed towards me, determined to cleave me in half.

As I sidestepped to dodge the first strike, I realised something. I was moving way faster than I was supposed to. During my time back into the past, I had found that I had lost everything that wasn't in my head. I was surprised that I was able to dodge Ares' strike considering he was a god and all.

I passed it off for adrenaline as I swung my sword at his abdomen. Ares raised his blade to block it with no problem but his face changed just enough for me to notice.

'Not bad, not bad,' Ares said before slashed at me once more. I rolled out of the way as the sword threw sand up into the air, momentarily blinding me. I raised my blade instinctively and was nearly thrown six feet under by the force of the strike. I jumped back before Ares had the chance to attack me again.

I backed up more as Ares started walking a lazy circle around me, his cocky grin still plastered on his face. His long broadsword was held lazily in his hand but I knew that it would be the end of me if I wasn't careful. 

I sneaked a glance at the water behind me. If I could get into the sea, the water would give me a significant power boost that I so desperately needed. I could have just called the water towards me but I wanted to save that as a last resort. 

I almost didn't even see him move. Ares was on me in a blink of an eye and I barely had enough time to deflect the blade he had aimed at my head. I staggered back by the sheer strength behind the sword before I counterattacked with a stab of my own. I gritted my teeth as Ares sidestepped my strike easily.

I let go of my sword in surprise when Ares locked the hilt of his sword with mine and twisted it, performing the disarming manoeuvre I learned so long ago. Suddenly, a sharp pain erupted on my cheek and before I even noticed, I was flying through the air. 

Thankfully, I landed in the tides behind me, the saltwater washing away all the pain and drowsiness that was left in me. I let myself stay submerged as I inhaled a deep breath of liquid, relishing the energy and power flowing in and around me. The pain on my cheek was slowly diminishing and the feeling of water on my skin woke me up.

I willed the water around me to launch me upwards, leaving a giant wave behind me. As the water propelled me over Ares, I ripped Anaklusmos out of my pocket and uncapped it midair before I slashed downwards, hoping to catch Ares off guard.

Unfortunately, Ares read my move perfectly. My strike met nothing but air as I tumbled towards the ground. I rolled away instinctively and just managed to avoid a downwards stab by Ares. The point of the blade caught the front of my shirt and cut a jagged hole down the fabric. The tip of his sword was so close to my chest, I could feel the coldness of the metal.