Chapter 45: A new age

I was suffocating. I wanted to breathe urgently, but I couldn't. A loud murmur in my ears didn't let me focus on anything, and I felt like I was spinning.

Someone tugged at me to pull me hard, and the noise in my ears jerked away, letting others come: car alarms, people yelling, and men giving orders. I was able to swallow a whole gulp of air at last.

"Marien!" that voice called me, making me react.

I focused my gaze on his face as he shook me. Finally, I was able to be aware of my surroundings. We had fallen into the lake. I coughed a little from the lack of air and the water I'd swallowed.

"Sirius," I muttered.

He showed me his dreamy smile and hugged me. What had happened? I didn't remember. I was confused. Was this my paradise? With him? If so, I was grateful.

"We did it!" he said and brought his forehead to mine as he continued to smile.

What?

I finally reacted. Had we made it? We had made it, and we were alive together. Then, I thought I remembered. 

The explosion had a countdown, an extra five seconds, enough for a speedy evolved man to wrap me in his arms and run away to jump out the window—a stroke of luck that seemed to have been predestined.

It was all over. I chuckled and hugged him tightly, looking for his lips to give him a big kiss.

"We did it!" I exclaimed happily.

He let out his beautiful and manly laugh, advancing a little in the water while I held onto him. I kissed his cheek and closed my eyes. I breathed, relieved, and calmed myself more with his aroma. We reached the shore and sat on it.

"Hey!" yelled a familiar voice. "Are you okay?"

We turned around; it was Max who was swimming.

"All good!" Sirius replied.

Max smiled and stopped moving, leaned back, and floated on his back in the water.

"Well, I guess we are lucky to be alive," he said. "Thanks for pulling me out, but you know? I'll stop hanging out with you. The drama haunts you." He splashed. "Holy God..."

I remembered Sirius's injuries and immediately straddled him to examine him.

"Hey, calm down!" Max demanded.

"I want to see his injuries!" I replied.

My boy was looking at me with a raised eyebrow and a smile.

"They must have healed a bit by now," he murmured in his seductive voice. "But if you like, examine me..."

"Exit signal," Max complained and swam away.

I chuckled as I watched him go. Sirius gently cupped my chin, turning my face to meet his eyes, those eyes that were now shining mischievously, matching his smile, and kissed me, making me lose myself in his mouth.

We went to the hospital; the evolved men were retiring in peace, and many offered to help repair the damage.

On the way, we meet our friends: Rosy, Marcus, John, Tania, and some of Max's soldiers. There were also Acrux, the brothers, and another EH. He was older, with eyes of a rare mustard color. When he saw me, he smiled slightly. They were with some injuries; they had indeed fought to protect my friends.

"Marien, Anthony, you're fine!" exclaimed Rosy, who came running.

She wrapped us both in her embrace as she cried and smiled at the same time. No doubt she was shocked. The others approached as well.