Chapter 7

They arrived back to Klaus's Mansion by the time Rebekah had returned with the last of the White Oak.

"Perfect, Bex is here, too," said Kol just as he and Hilda strode in to where Klaus was painting, seeing Rebekah has walked in right ahead of them.

Rebekah smiled at her siblings. "The last of the white oak stakes that can kill us. Who wants to do the honors?"

"Me," said Hilda, holding out her hand. Rebekah handed it to her, and Hilda tossed it right into the fireplace, watching the flames engulf it.

Rebekah was pleased. "Well, that's that, then."

"Pack your bags and get any last minute business sorted out," said Klaus. "We're leaving."

"Today?" she asked, looking almost sad.

"Why not? There's nothing keeping us here. We'll grab the doppelganger and be off by sunset."

"But tonight is the Decade Dance!" whined Rebekah.

The twins shared a look of distaste. "The what?"

"The Decade Dance! I'm head of the committee and I've been doing all the planning- we have to go!"

"Is that one of those cheesy high school excuses to dance all pressed together?" asked Hilda.

"If it is, I have no intention of going to any dance," said Kol.

"Nor do I," added Klaus.

Rebekah frowned. "You have to go. For me, please. Caroline will be there, Klaus. And I think that brunette you were dancing with at the party, Kol. Not to mention, that teacher Hilda fancies might be there, now that he's better."

The three siblings looked around, none very excited about the prospect of indulging in their baby sister's request.

"Okay, fine," muttered Klaus. "Only if the twins are going. One last hoorah."

Rebekah smiled in triumph. "One last hoorah. The theme is the Roaring Twenties, so you better dress accordingly."

She began to walk out when the twins began to protest. "We weren't around in the twenties!" said Kol indignantly. "You have to show us what to bloody wear."

"Look it up, you two have phones now!" said Rebekah. "Unless you'd rather I drag you to set everything up."

The twins decided it was better to consult Klaus and their devices than accompany Rebekah.

Klaus sighed dejectedly, realizing the twins were going to need his help. "Fine, fine, I will show you where to find outfits. But I expect no hesitation when we leave later. You will owe it to me."

"Yes, brother, we will," said Hilda, nudging Kol as they watched Klaus roll his eyes.

It was more fun than expected. Klaus could talk for hours on end about the artistic aesthetic aspects of the 1920s, and it gave the twins a very good idea of what to wear. Kol, of course, was going to go with something more formal anyway, but Hilda found a very nice flowy dress that wasn't a flapper, which Klaus thought would be fitting for the theme. She even convinced him to paint some flowers from the garden for her to put in her hair.

Once evening set in, the three headed to the school. They felt out of place, of course, since none of them were enrolled at the high school to begin with, but they supposed that no one would really care that they were there. They found the gymnasium filled with decorations, which was a bit much, in Hilda's opinion, but she tried to pay it no heed, and instead peered around for Rebekah.

"Where the bloody hell is she?" asked Kol impatiently as they started moving through the crowd.

"Knowing her, behind the scenes, nitpicking every detail we won't even see," muttered Hilda.