Chapter 41

It was very easy for Hilda and Klaus to reach their chaotic and mischievous duo potential.

Klaus had figured out very quickly the next morning when Hilda came down earlier than usual that something was bothering her. With a snap of his fingers, he had the servants make them two mimosas, and soon, they began to chat, scheming amongst themselves as pastries flowed in from the kitchen, much to Elijah's dismay.

"What, pray tell, is happening here?" he asked sharply when he saw Klaus and Hilda had very abruptly shut up, with two identically wicked looks on their faces.

"Nothing at all, brother, just a family breakfast," said Klaus casually, holding up his glass. "Can I fix you a drink, perhaps?"

Elijah rolled his eyes. "Strangely enough, Niklaus, I'm not in a mimosa mood."

"Perfect!" chirped Hilda. "More for us, then." She and Klaus raised their glasses before downing what remained.

Elijah leaned onto the chair beside his sister. "Let's discuss strategy, shall we? Just wondering if you actually have one."

Hilda made a 'pfft' sound. "You're ruining a perfectly good breakfast, 'Lijah. We haven't even gotten to feed yet!" She waved over one of the servants. "Come here, darling... that's it." She took her wrist and began to feed, letting a few drops fall into her mimosa.

Klaus snickered at Elijah's annoyed look. "Let's begin with Mikael's ashes," he continued, ignoring Hilda. "Given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, would you care to tell me where they disappeared to?"

Hilda and Klaus shared another mischievous look. Klaus had told Hilda, and she had thought it brilliant, agreeing to keep it a secret.

"Elijah!" said Klaus with a fake smile, setting his drink down. "I have compelled the city's finest pastry chef for your own personal edification, and yet, you ignore my efforts in favor of needless concerns!"

At this, Rebekah entered the room, groaning and holding her head. "Can we stop talking so loudly? Give me that, Hilly." She pointed at the pot of coffee beside her sister.

Hilda scrunched up her nose before passing it to her. "New body not so tolerant to alcohol, is it? Last night's bender certainly took a toll on you."

"So?" said Rebekah, serving herself some coffee before going to sit beside Klaus. "I had a few. It's not every day you lose your father at the hands of your brother. Again."

Klaus laughed heartily. "Whoever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?"

Hilda giggled. "It's just a shame I missed it the first time. The encore would have been spectacular."

Rebekah and Elijah were not amused. "Oh, come on!" cried Klaus. "We all fled Mikael's tyranny together for centuries! I would have thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant!"

"Under normal circumstances," replied Elijah, "the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus. Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with."

Klaus got up to pour himself another drink. "You know, for someone who's been invited to a celebratory breakfast, you're proving quite the buzzkill. Hilly and I were having a marvelous time before you showed up."

Elijah sighed deeply. "Well, Niklaus, if anything indeed has killed the—" he made air quotes, "'buzz,' as you say, perhaps it was because murdering Father alienated the one person who truly knows how to defeat Dahlia."

"Hold on," said Hilda sharply. "Freya saw my memories. She knows how bad Mikael treated us. She was trying to be nice to him but deep down she knew he was a monster. She sought us out for several years and she knows we're not perfect people. Perhaps she will never forgive us for it but it still benefits her to help us."