Chapter 61

Alaric came to check on them about an hour after Klaus left.

"How are things going in here?" he said, hoping that he wasn't bothering them.

"As well as can be expected," sighed Hilda. "Anything interesting happen on your end?"

"The twins refused their bottles for the first time. Otherwise... well, same old. Damon's still desiccated, Elena's still asleep, and Stefan and Caroline are still running. There's not much to report, to be honest. We just have to wait and hope this Rayna Cruz problem is eliminated. I have to admit... now that Damon's not part of it, I feel less worried. They can handle themselves. The Heretics have each other and Stefan and Caroline will back each other up, too. I'm glad Damon's safe, even if it's sad to know that he didn't actually say goodbye."

Hilda winced and patted his shoulder before going back to the charcoal that she and Freya were using to sketch the spell. "I promise, we'll figure something out. Rayna Cruz can't live forever."

Elijah walked in, making them all face him. "We are out of time," he said impatiently. "What do you have prepared?"

Freya gulped. "Well... A sigil is a complicated magical symbol, weaponized and condensed to its most potent form. If we combine the right elements, we'll have a chance at stopping Lucien, and if we don't..."

Just then, there was the sound of panicked knocking downstairs. The four adults shared a look before going down, and seeing Hayley was already there to greet a frantic Cami. "It's Klaus," said Cami, her eyes wide. "Lucien has him!"

"Freya!" called Hayley as the eldest Mikaelson jogged up. "Invite her in!"

"Yeah, come in, you're invited," said Freya immediately as Elijah beckoned Cami over the threshold to sit in the courtyard. "Tell us what happened," he prompted.

"Lucien ambushed him," the blonde said. "He knocked him around like it was nothing."

"Did he bite him?" asked Hilda immediately.

Cami shook her head. "No. I think he wanted him alive. I followed them. Lucien took Klaus back to the penthouse."

Elijah's phone buzzed, and he paused to look down at it, before looking up with a grave expression. "Lucien is demanding my presence at the Whiskey Cask— alone and immediately. He says if I delay, Niklaus will die."

"I think the sigil has to be ready," said Freya, leaping to her feet. "I'll come with you— cloaked."

"Freya—" began Elijah.

"No, you don't get to tell me I can't go," she snapped. "I lost one brother already, and I'm the one who can do the magic, I have to go."

She sprinted up the stairs, and Elijah faced Hilda. "Stay here," he demanded. "Tend to children, continue to work on a spell. If you find anything of use, let Freya know." He looked back up as Freya ran back with a bag of herbs, offering her hand to Elijah, who took it and sped her away.

"That's it?" said Cami, still looking overwhelmed. "How— how do we know that Klaus is going to be okay?"

"We're going to make sure of it," said Hayley, standing up. "Come with me, Cami, I have an idea."

Hilda let out a loud huff as the two women sped away. "So I'm just a sitting duck here?"

"I know it's not ideal," said Alaric gently. "But they're right. You're in danger."

"He's my brother!" she cried. "Kol's in trouble, too, and I'm expected to sit here like a porcelain doll? Hayley is putting herself in danger and she can die far more easily. What happens if Lucien bites Nik and kills Hayley? Who will Hope have then?"