Chapter 14

It was evening when they realized the barrier had been dropped.

Hilda hadn't spoken again. She'd zoned out, ignoring whatever conversation transpired between Klaus and Caroline. Twice she failed to realize that Tyler was in the room, staring at her as if much more concerned now that she was staring into space.

"Hilly."

She was shaken by Klaus, and it made her look up. "Up you come," he said, pulling her to her feet. "The barrier's been dropped."

She reached a hand out, swiping through where the invisible wall used to be. She let out a shaky sigh realizing he was right. Turning back, she went to where her twin's body still lay. Kneeling down, she hoisted him up, and Klaus aided her, slinging the corpse of their brother over his shoulder.

They walked out to the front porch, where Caroline sat on a swing. She was alarmed when she registered their presence. "How did you get out?"

"I fear something awful has befallen your friend Bonnie," said Klaus. He moved toward Caroline, who tensed. "Don't worry, love. You know I'd never hurt you."

"You've done enough," said the blonde.

"I've done more than enough. I've shown kindness, forgiveness, pity... because of you, Caroline. It was all for you."

The two stared at each other for a moment before the younger vampire fixated her gaze on Hilda. "I know it might not mean anything to you when I say it," she said, "but I'm really sorry about your brother. I didn't know what they were planning."

"You're right, it doesn't mean anything," said Hilda, her voice completely emotionless.

Caroline went rigid, and shrank back into the swing. "Did she...?"

"No, love, she didn't," said Klaus confidently. "She's certainly realized by now that she cannot turn it off. After all this time, us Originals have lost the ability to turn off our humanity. This fact, I had not shared with the twins, as we learned of it while they were daggered."

Hilda watched as Caroline gave her a look of pity. The blonde couldn't imagine how terrible that could be. Hilda had no idea before this, that she couldn't turn her humanity off. She had been trapped for three days with a brother that mistreated her and the dead body of the brother who understood her better than anyone. Surely she wanted to take the pain away, and she couldn't.

Caroline pursed her lips. "I... I don't know what to say. I know it's not the same to compare the fact that I lost my dad. I can't... even begin to imagine what it's like to lose a twin. I don't have siblings, so..."

Klaus half-smiled at her, thankful for the fact that she was trying to convey her sympathy for hs sister. But Hilda was in no mood to listen.

The two Originals sped back to the Mikaelson Manor. Klaus set Kol's body down gently on the sofa as Hilda went straight for the liquor, grabbing the one of the largest bottles, and another smaller one that had one of the highest alcohol contents. Not even bothering to get a class, she sat down in front of the window and popped them open, beginning to drink.

Klaus sat cautiously beside her. "Would you like me to call Elijah?"

"No." She got up to go put her phone to charge, then returned. "If he's not already on his way, I don't wish to see him." She took a long swig of one of the bottles. It burned her throat, but she liked the pain. It was a distraction from the ache in her chest that came from something that she couldn't physically heal as a vampire.

"Are there any particular arrangements you see fit to include in the aftermath, sister? A choice of flowers. Burial."

"You need to burn him," she said without missing a beat. "We need to preserve his ashes. If there's ever a way to bring him back, we'll need them."