Chapter 18

Hilda was grateful that her siblings loved to gossip.

Even though she did not go to New Orleans for months, she knew exactly what was going on at practically every moment.

At first, she'd had only updates from Klaus, who was still learning how to embrace the prospect of fatherhood. While Rebekah had been traveling with Matt exploring the streets of Europe (and the bedrooms), Hilda had been having a quiet time on several tropic islands, enjoying long walks, acupuncture, massages, and most of all, amazing drinks. She kept a low profile and didn't make a single phone call (this, of course, only forced Klaus to learn to text properly). Hardly anyone knew she was there and anyone who saw her was compelled. If she came across any supernaturals she felt were suspicious, she'd kill them.

When Rebekah had arrived in New Orleans, Hilda had begun getting updates nearly every hour. Rebekah, of course, didn't hesitate to tell her sister all about Marcel and how he was alive and running the city and how he was controlling the witches. They had learned soon after that this was all due to a special little Harvest witch named Davina.

"Let's see if I understood what you said," Hilda spoke into the phone as she relaxed on a beach in Barbados. "Marcel has this little witch in an attic somewhere, but Rebekah can't remember where?"

"You forgot the part where our sister got thrown out the window," chimed in Klaus.

"Nik!" snapped Rebekah. "Yes, the brat erased my memory."

"And the little witch has Elijah."

"Yes," came the new voice she'd come to know as Hayley Marshall. "Finally, someone actually cares that Elijah is missing."

"Don't be absurd, love, Elijah is Hilda's least favorite sibling," said Klaus, and Hilda could imagine he was smirking like the devil he was.

"No, you occupy that position, Nik," replied Hilda without missing a beat. This made both Rebekah and Hayley laugh. "Let's see... I met a small Coven here, they've proven friendly. I can try to ask them to do a Locator Spell on Elijah using my blood. It will be more difficult since it's from another country but it's worth a try. Realistically, it might be too far and even if we were in New Orleans, Davina's magical signature could corrupt the spell. We'll do our best."

The Locator Spell had not gone well. The two maps of New Orleans that Hilda had acquired were rendered useless rather quickly. Davina's magic seemed to be blocking them even from this far away.

"A bloody bust," sighed Rebekah on their next call. "Sophie Deveraux was unable to complete her Locator Spell here in the Quarter. That witch— Katie— idiotic Nik killed her before we had the time. He says it's good since he saved Marcel and whatnot... but it just ruined our chance. Hayley is getting antsy."

"Poor thing. Too many hormones already and now she's grown affections for one of our brothers while carrying the child of the other. Whatever shall we do, Bex?"

Rebekah had eventually found the place. They had updated Hilda and let her know that Davina, in fact, was an escaped Harvest girl. Once Elijah had been returned to wherever it was that the three Mikaelsons and Hayley were staying, they joined another call to speak to Hilda.

"Those witches are idiots," sighed Hilda, leaning back on her deck chair with a pineapple smoothie on a beach in Hawaii. "I myself have seen the Harvest ritual be done in the past. It's very real, and if they bothered to document it properly, they would be able to have the current elders understand the process much better. Kol and I helped them refine the procedure and we wrote them rules. It explicitly states that whenever the ritual is done, the girls must not see what happens to their fellow Harvest girls. Meaning they did it wrong by letting the girls watch them slit the throats of the others. They will all resurrect if you make them complete the ritual, I assure you that. In fact, it's imminent you have them complete it. Let Davina know that she just needs to relax and she'll awaken soon. The only side effect that Harvest girls have is getting too cocky for their own good."