Chapter 38

Hilda forgot her animosity the next morning.

"What do you mean she tried to kidnap Hope?" she exclaimed when she was woken by a very livid Klaus.

"I mean that stupid witch took over and Rebekah is no longer in control of that body," he said venomously, tearing into her dresser for the enchanted manacles that the twins had made. "She would have taken my daughter had Hayley and I not intervened."

Hilda shot out of bed, hastily getting dressed and following after Klaus, who brought the manacles to where Marcel and Hayley awaited in his study. "We really ought to stop packing these manacles away," said the hybrid angrily. "There's always someone in need of a good shackling." He planted the manacles into Marcel's hands. "Find Rebekah— or Eva— or whoever the bloody hell that was— use these to stop her from doing magic. And don't hurt her. The non-psychopathic bits are still my sister."

Marcel looked worried. "Alright, I won't be the only one looking for her. She killed witch-kids. The twenty-four hour hold that Elijah got the covens to agree to? Ended at midnight. Every witch in the city is gonna be gunning for her."

Hilda pursed her lips and turned to Hayley. "Perhaps you ought to go to Elijah— see if he can charm that elderly and crusty witch into calling off the hunt."

Hayley pursed her lips. "Does that mean you intend to stay here with Hope?"

"She'll be helping me," said Klaus. "Jackson has been working night and day to secure this compound, surrounding it with his werewolf army. Hilda and I won't leave the Compound just yet. The best way to protect our child, Hayley, is to get Rebekah out of that serial killer's body and back into the original model."

Hayley crossed her arms. "And what will you two be doing while we're out doing all the dirty work?"

Klaus smirked. "Why, tending to the even dirtier work, as usual. Hilda and I will be consulting Freya. After all, she's a witch, and Hilda will ensure her spells do not sabotage Rebekah any further."

He beckoned for Hilda to take out her phone. "Have you saved her contact yet? Call her."

Freya was more than eager to help, which Hilda found surprising considering how she was treated the day before.

"You said that you could put Rebekah back in her original body," said Klaus sharply. "Do it."

Freya laughed in amusement. "So, you've come to your senses?"

"My senses have not faltered," said the hybrid. "They still demand that you are not to be trusted. However, circumstance dictates otherwise... for now."

Freya and Hilda shared a look. Hilda had not meant to eavesdrop last night, but she had heard Freya telling Klaus about the loss of her child, something Hilda had seen in her mind, and a sensitive topic. Hilda suspected her brother was warming up to Freya, but didn't way to say that so openly.

"Eva Sinclair has resumed control of Rebekah's body," explained Hilda. "Our sister is trapped inside, and I don't think we need to go into how dangerous that is."

"It won't be simple," said Freya, making Klaus's eyes fiery.

"More stalling," he said venomously. "Very well. I know I can't kill you, but I shall have a fine time trying. Tell me, have you ever been skinned alive?"

Freya shook her head. "The problem is Rebekah's condition has worsened. When I offered to help, she was in control of Eva's body. Now, she's lost inside Eva. I don't have a spell that could breach Eva's mind and find her. Even with Hilda and I both working on it, it won't happen today."