Chapter One

Today was the day I moved to Derry. My parents had been divorced for years. I decided to stay with my mom, while my brother, Henry, decided to stay with our dad. My mom was having some trouble with drinking again and she thought it would be best for me to stay with dad while she goes through therapy.......again.

I packed everything I could, because I wasn't sure how long I would be staying in Derry. My dad picked me up and drove me back to Derry with him. I had been living in Pennsylvania for the longest time, so the drive was about 9 hours. It was enough time for me to catch-up with my dad. I will admit, it was a bit awkward at first. I hadn't seen him since I was 8, now I'm 16. That meant that my big brother, Henry, was 17. I was excited to see him. He and I were best friends growing up. He always looked out for me as a big brother should. I wonder what he was like now.

It was fun catching up with dad. I really missed him. There are times where I wished that I had choose to stay with him instead of mom, but I was 8 and really didn't think things through.

Apparently, tomorrow was the last day of school in Derry. My last day of school was last week. My dad said I didn't have to go, but I could if I wanted to. I might.

-

I felt a pair of arms shake me awake. We were finally home. I jumped out of the car to see a questionable house. It was nice don't get me wrong, but it did look a little run down. I couldn't have expected much though, we weren't exactly the richest family around. I was just happy to see my family again.

"Do you mind grabbing Henry to help me with your bags?" Dad asked.

"Sure"

"He should be inside"

"Ok" I yelled as I ran inside.

When I opened the front door, I was surprised to see a very neat and organized house. Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting this. I looked around the house for Henry, but still no sight of him. On the bright side, I found the guest bedroom where I would be staying. It looked like they had tried to make the room feel more welcoming for me by bringing out my old posters and stuffed animals. Obviously my dad never considered the fact that I was 16 now. 'The Outsiders' and 'The Karate Kid' posters were hung on the walls and my collection of 'Elton John' and 'Queen' records we out on my desk. I let out a small laugh before continuing my search for Henry.

I looked in what looked to be his room, but still no sight of him. I turned around to find him standing at the doorway with his hands in his pockets.

"Hey little shrimp" he teased.

"Henry!" I exclaimed as I wrapped my arms around him. He snaked his arms around my waist to pull me in tighter. I couldn't believe how big he had gotten. Overall he looked great, except for that fucking mullet. I never understood that trend.

He used to be such a string bean growing up. It looks like he finally bulked up. Good for him.

"Look at you!" He smiled.

"Look at me? Look at you!"

"Oh shut up" he said as he slightly nudged me.

"Come on dumbass, dad needs your help" I laughed as I grabbed his hand and lead him outside.

He helped us bring my luggage inside and I quickly got settled in. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as I thought.

-

I spent the day catching up with Henry until he went out to hang with his gang. I spent the day reading and watching TV with dad. Eventually, dinner rolled around. It wasn't much, we had some TV dinners. Dad said he would go out to the the store tomorrow to pick up some real food. He just never got around to it today. I didn't really mind though.

As dad plated our food in the kitchen, Henry and I sat at the table.

"What do you think so far?" He asked.

"It's a lot nicer than I expected" I admitted.

He chuckled, "don't get too used to it"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's an act"

"What?"

"The old man is putting on an act for you. In a few days he'll be back to square one. Beer bottles will be all over the floor and the smell of smoke will roll back in. He's just trying to make a good impression" Henry explained.

I was left in shock.

"I thought dad stopped drinking?"

"Ha! Didn't we all"

I shrugged my shoulders and brushed it off. He couldn't be as bad as Henry described.

Dad handed us or plates and sat down in front of us.

"Y/n, are you gonna go to school with Henry tomorrow?" Dad asked.

"I-"

Before I could answer, Henry answered for me.

"She can't"

"Why?" Dad asked.

Henry looked back between me and dad.

"She doesn't want to" he replied.

"Is that true?" Dad asked me.

"Uh- I don't really mind. I'm fine with either"

I didn't want to start any trouble. It seemed like Henry didn't have the best relationship with our dad. Then again, he really never did.

Dad got up to use the bathroom, leaving Henry and I alone.

"What the hell was that?" I asked.

"What are you talking about?"

"I can't go to school with you tomorrow?"

He rolled his eyes at my words and continued to eat.

"Answer me!"

He grabbed my wrist to get my attention.

"I don't have to explain anything to you"

For once in my life, I was genuinely scared of my own brother.

He let go of my hand as dad came back into the room. I tried to pretend like nothing had just happened and offered to clean up as a way to distract myself.

Once the dishes were done, I headed to my room and threw myself onto the bed. I let out a small sigh as I realized that things had changed. Henry wasn't the big brother he used to be. Why didn't he want me to go to school with him tomorrow? What was he hiding?