Chapter 4

[Class D]

"This must be our class then."

The two of us stopped in front of a sliding door. Above it was a plate bearing the words "Class D".

"It seems so." Kushida replied. She was excitedly looking inside the room through the glass on the door.

"Let's go, Nanabe-kun."

She grabbed my hand, which I offered no resistance with, as she slid the door open.

There were students inside and I can vaguely recognized some of them from the entrance ceremony.

And there's another thing too.

There at the seat near the window, sat a familiar face that I would never forget. It was Ayanokouji, and he was wearing his usual expressionless face.

"Ayano-"

"Um, isn't that the guy in the bus?"

I nearly slipped up his name but I was stopped by the sudden tugging of my arms.

When I looked at Kushida, she was pointing to one of the students. I followed her gaze and I saw the same man that was inside the bus.

"Yeah, you're right. Should we go talk to him?" I said.

"Um, I know that this would sound rude but I don't think I can handle it again if I talk to him one more time."

She used her free hand to wave it back and forth in denial. She was also meekly shaking her head to the sides as she said those words.

"It must be hard on you, huh?"

"Yeah, it's hard.” She said with a wry smile. But then she suddenly perked up, as if remembering something. "What about you, Nanabe-kun? Do you want to talk to him?"

"No, thank you." I answered immediately.

"Wow, that's a flat refusal. Didn't you say that you wanted to make friends?"

"No one said that kind of thing."

"You didn't?"

"I did not."

She continued to stare at me teasingly but I averted my gaze.

"I can already see you being alone in the next three years." She said, her palm was resting on her fore head.

"That's rude." I simply said.

She didn't answer, instead she looked around the room. I did the same and I just noticed that most of the students were looking at us. More precisely to our hands.

Two students came in with their hands joined. I can already see a misunderstanding forming.

"My seat is at the front row, what about you?" Kushida said, oblivious to the fact that a false rumor are about to spread.

Well, if she's not going to address, so do I.

"My name's written in that chair at the back."

My seat was at the back row and I was the nearest in the door. The opposite seat of that certain man. Who was now eyeing me curiously.

"So, I guess we're not seatmates, that's too bad."

"Too bad, huh?"

"Well, I think we should part ways here."

She removed her grip in my hand and I instinctively let go.

"We're not really parting ways here since we're still in the same room." I said.