Chapter 4 - School Shopping

Waking up on his eleventh birthday on 31st July 1991, Harry Potter does what he does every day. He heads downstairs and out into the grounds for his daily run. On his first lap of the grounds, he stops to let Ruby loose in the woods to hunt. His runespoor familiar is now almost 5 feet long but has kept its promise of not hurting Harry's family. Ruby isn't the only one who's grown however, Harry stands at just over 5 ft himself, being slightly taller than an average eleven year old boy. The last four years have been incredibly hard work but have left Harry in a powerful state. He's into the fifth year syllabus at Hogwarts while being even further ahead when it comes to duelling, almost being able to hold his own against Sirius. His occlumency shields have been developed to such an extent that he can now go through almost any situation with his emotionless mask in place, while he has slowly improved his legilimency abilities and is now quite adept at searching others' minds. One of Harry's favourite charms is the compulsion charm since he can cast it on a person but wait and use his legilimency to activate it when required. It's a great way to prank Sirius at least. Just less than a year before he turned eleven, Harry finally completed his transformation practice and was able to become his animagus form. He finally revealed this by transforming into it and waiting in Sirius' bedroom for him, you could say he was more than a little surprised when the large falcon before him suddenly transformed into his godson. Sirius spent the next hour telling Harry how proud he was and then listening to this new method Harry had found with much interest.
Returning to the forest on his second lap, Harry picked up Ruby and continued back to the house and then have a shower. Dressing in some smart robes for his meeting at gringotts headed downstairs.

"Happy birthday Harry!" Is heard from his family as he walks into the parlour receiving hugs from all. "Thanks everyone." He replied with a genuine smile.
Harry received a nimbus 2000 from Sirius, an advanced defensive spell book from Remus, a potions book from Susan and a new set of acromantula silk dress robes from Amelia.
Sirius then stepped forward saying "Although it's not a birthday present this came for you today." Sirius handed Harry latter he'd been waiting to receive for a long time.
"My Hogwarts letter?!" Harry exclaimed "This is where the fun begins then" he finished with a chuckle and a sly smile.
"Right then" Sirius said turning to Amelia, "I'll head to gringotts with Harry then we'll meet you and Susan in Madam Malkin's at one o'clock okay?"
"Okay we'll see you then" Amelia replied giving her husband a kiss before he left.
Before they went through the fire Harry stopped and spoke up "Before we go can I just make something clear?" He started as everyone turned to look at him, "If it's okay with you all, I'd prefer it if you didn't call me Harry while we're out, I don't need any more attention."
"Sure Harry, what name do you want to go by?" Susan asked in response.
"How about James Evans?" He suggested getting a bark of laughter from Sirius and Remus at once.
"I think that's brilliant, James" Sirius cut in with a smirk in his face. And with that they turned and flooed to the leaky cauldron.

Harry and Sirius quickly made their way to gringotts down a much busier than usual diagon alley.
"You can tell the Hogwarts letters have arrived" chuckled Sirius watching people scrambling about between shops.
When they reached the bank, Harry went to an open teller, bowed and in perfect gobbledygook said "Good day noble one, we have an appointment with Lord Ragnok at twelve.".
The look of shock was clear on the goblin's face, however it quickly turned into a toothy grin as he told another goblin to escort them to Ragnok's office. "Please follow this goblin" the teller replied in gobbledygook. Harry and Sirius made their way to Ragnok's office, entering and bowing to the powerful goblin.
"Good day Heir Potter, Lord Black, a pleasure to see you both but let's dispense with the formalities and get to business shall we?" Ragnok said in his regular no nonsense tone. With this, 4 goblins entered the room carrying ornately decorated wooden boxes, placing them on the desk in front of Harry and opening them revealing a ring in each.
"Take each ring and place it on your right ring finger, they will then combine into one and you shall officially become Lord of the Most Ancient and Noble houses of Potter, Gryffindor, Peverell and Slytherin. You shall also become emancipated in the wizarding world, exempting you from the laws of under age magic use." Ragnok stated calmly. Without a word from anyone, Harry proceeded to do so. Once all four rings were on his finger there was a bright flash of white light as the rings combined. Harry looked down to see a single ring with a single ruby in the centre. On either side of the gem were two coats of arms, one side had Potter and Peverell, while the other held Gryffindor and Slytherin.
"You now have the knowledge of the locations of all Potter properties, this ring will act as a port key to travel between them, simply press the ruby and think of a certain property to travel to it." Explained Ragnok.
"If it's okay with your Lord Ragnok, I'd prefer to just go by Lord Potter, I don't need any extra attention." Harry stated earning a chuckle form Ragnok.
"As you wish Lord Potter. Now here is your vault key, all of your wealth has been gathered in the Potter family vault. Would you also like to empty your trust vault?" Enquired the goblin.
"No, bring the value of my trust vault up to ten million galleons then leave it separate just in case, I would also like to withdraw one thousand galleons now from the family vault. Also, I heard the goblins created a magical pouch that allows the owner to withdraw money from their vault from anywhere, is this the case?" Harry responded.
"That is indeed the case Lord Potter, if you wish to purchase such a thing the price is five thousand galleons due to the extensive charms on the pouch."
A smiling Ragnok answered. He was pleasantly surprised that Harry gave the goblins their rightful credit in creating said pouch as not many wizards do.
"That is acceptable Lord Ragnok, I would like to set a limit of ten thousand galleons withdrawal through the pouch, after that I believe we are done here. Thank you once again for your help Lord Ragnok."
Harry smiled and bowed at the goblin he had come to respect.
"A pleasure as always Lord Potter, should you ever need any financially or legal help do not hesitate to contact me." Ragnok said as he bowed in response as Harry and Sirius left his office. "You will do great things Lord Potter, I look forward to seeing the results of your future work." Ragnok muttered and smiled to himself as his guests left.
After Harry received his new pouch as well as withdrawing one thousand galleons he and Sirius bowed to the goblins and made their way out of the bank and towards Madame Malkin's to meet Susan and Amelia.

"How'd it go?" Came Amelia's voice from behind them as they walked in.
"Pretty well, all things considered" Sirius replied.
"Right who's next? Ah, you three come this way." A lady dressed fine robes stepped out and pointed at Harry, Susan and this ginger kid Harry hadn't noticed until then. They stepped forward and the lady started taking their measurements. Then the ginger kid turned and started talking to Harry.
"I'm Ron by the way, Ron Weasley." He said stretching out his hand. Harry tentatively took it, he knew about the Weasleys, they worshiped the very ground Dumbledore walked on and hailed him as the modern Merlin. Harry would have to watch him carefully if they were going to be in the same year at school. "James Evans, nice to meet you." Harry responded with a forced smile.
"So have you heard Harry Potter is going to be coming to Hogwarts this year? I'm going to be his best friend, we're both going to be Gryffindors and stop those evil slimy snakes. Dumbledore told me so." Ron boasted.
Harry kept his mask in place simply replying with "Oh cool." trying not to show his disgust.
"Hey if you're in Gryffindor we'll let you hang out with us." He then said, he clearly had no idea who he was talking to.
"Thanks for the offer." Harry replied as the lady finished with them and they went their separate ways. Harry then told Sirius and Amelia about the interaction he just had with the young Weasley.
"Be careful around him pup, Dumbledore will probably try to use him to get close to you." Harry nodded as they left Madam Malkin's and continued shopping.
They had purchased everything they needed other than Harry and Susan's wands. They walked into ollivanders finding it surprisingly empty other than the elderly man emerging from the back of the store. "Good day Lord and Lady Black, a pleasure to see you both. Now then the two young children with you must be miss Susan Bones and mr Harry Potter. A pleasure to meet you both finally." Said Ollivander in his soothingly calm voice. Harry and Susan both bowed their heads in respect.
"Now, who would like to go first?" He asked looking between the two.
Susan stepped forward and after about ten minutes and six wands she had hers. A ten and three-quarter inch cedar wand with unicorn hair core which Amelia payed for. It took considerably longer to find Harry his wand, after half an hour Ollivander brought another to him. "Holly and Phoenix feather, this one should do it." He said handing Harry the wand. As soon as Harry grabbed it he felt very cold and ill throwing it back onto the table shocking Ollivander. "I really thought that would be the one" he said disappointed. Another ten minutes later, Harry was handed a twelve and a half inch ebony wand with a thestral hair core. To this he felt a surge of power flow through him and knew it was the one for him. "You will do great things with this wand mr Porter, of that I have no doubt." Ollivander remarked as Harry paid for his wand and a demiguise hair wrist wand holster and walked out after thanking the old wand-maker. "Great things indeed." Ollivander muttered under his breath as they left. On the way back to the leaky cauldron, Harry decided he wanted an owl to take with him to Hogwarts, after an internal discussion ending with Ruby promising not to eat it, Harry entered Eeylops Owl Emporium and immediately a beautiful snowy owl landed on his shoulder and rubbed its head against his cheek.
"That one's been a pain since we got her, bites everyone who comes in." Said the shopkeeper.
"She's beautiful, I'll take her." Harry replied buying the owl he named Hedwig along with a cage and some treats for his new pet. With all business done and everything needed bought, the family returned to the leaky cauldron. They had a quick drink before flooing back to Black manor.
In a months time they would be leaving for Hogwarts, where the real test for Harry would begin.

Thanks for reading to those few who are. We'll be going to Hogwarts soon so the real fun can begin. Feedback is always appreciated.