Chapter 11 - Home for Yule

The two months after Halloween went by calmly enough. The news that Harry killed the troll spread like fiendfire, he now had a large fan base throughout Slytherin and some from the other houses. The group of seven friends became closer, meeting in the room of requirement several times per week helping each other with studying and assignments. All had agreed to come along to Greengrass manor for the dinner on the 24th December. It had also allowed Sirius to reconnect with Cyrus and Elizabeth Greengrass, whom he went to Hogwarts with. Harry was still some distance ahead of the rest of the students in the rankings for their year. However, Hermione, Daphne and Susan were also doing very well with Neville also slowly improving. Oddly enough, Harry had also formed at good friendship with the Weasley twins. He found them nothing like their younger brother and in his opinion were hilarious and great company. After their first Hogsmeade weekend, the twins approached Harry to talk about their meeting with Sirius. They clearly loved meeting the marauder and came back with many new plans for pranks. After the incident with the troll, Malfoy and Weasley didn't dare do anything to antagonise Harry or his friends. Harry was pretty sure Ron was being kept in line by Fred and George, while Malfoy didn't dare anger anyone in Slytherin by going after the new golden boy. Quirrell had yet to do anything, Harry and his friends had a suspicion that he let the troll into the dungeons so were keeping an eye on him. Something else disconcerting was the fact Dumbledore hadn't done anything either, Harry was getting very nervous about what the old coot would do next. While there was a lot to worry about, that was all pushed to the back of his mind as the seven of them were sat on the Hogwarts express on their way home for Yule. (Christmas as the muggles called it with their single god faith).

"I'm so glad you're all coming on the 24th. It'll be nice to have people to talk to other than Tori." Daphne said cheerfully.
"Who's Tori?" Neville asked
"Oh that's your sister isn't it?" Hermione jumped in.
"Yeah Astoria, my younger sister. She's two years younger than us. She's really excited to meet you all. Especially Harry." Daphne said with a smirk.
"Argh, why's it always me?" Harry said with fake annoyance.
"Because you're the boy-who-lived Harry, everyone wants to meet you." Daphne replied smiling.
"That and she wants to meet her future brother in law." Tracey whispered to Blaise causing him to laugh out loud.
"What was that Tracey?" Daphne asked a little irritated.
"Nothing Daphne." She replied. Harry simply sat there and shook his head. He heard what Tracey said and wasn't completely against the idea. Obviously it'd have to wait a few years first though. One day however he could imagine himself marrying someone like Daphne.
"Now we all agreed no gifts right?" Daphne said.
Everyone nodded in response, except one. Hermione noticed Harry not responding. "Harry?" She asked in an accusatory tone.
Everyone turned to look at him. "No gifts." Harry said holding up his hands in surrender.
Then suddenly they were interrupted by a git.
"Greengrass, my father and yours will be meeting over Yule to agree on the betrothal contract. I told you that I would have you." Malfoy said with a triumphant smirk.
"Yeah right Malfoy. My father would never agree to that. Your family isn't of the right standing to be worthy." Daphne replied, clearly trying to aggravate him. It worked.
"My father is one of the richest men in the country. No one can defy the Malfoys." He said in anger.
"Well actually Malfoy, there are a few houses higher in standing and power, not to mention wealth that could easily defy you." Daphne said coldly, "Actually, given the fact Malfoy is just a Noble house, means that a lot of families are more powerful, including most in this compartment." She finished.
"How dare you, what can anyone in this compartment do to the Malfoy family?" He asked.
This was when Harry decided to jump in.
"Well Draco, I could have my godfather, Lord Sirius of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black, declare your mother a blood traitor, then, you would be of the same standing as the Weasleys. Would you like that?" Harry asked calmly. Malfoy's face went more pale than usual, but before he could respond, Harry spoke again, "Actually come to think of it, I could have you removed from the Black family tapestry all together." He said with a look of thoughtfulness stroking his chin. Malfoy now went from pale to red as he stormed from the compartment door without saying another word.
"Oh how I love doing that." Harry said joyfully as he sat down.
"Doing what exactly?" Blaise asked.
"Shutting him up." Harry replied with a smile getting a laugh from the compartment.
As everyone went back to talking Daphne turned to Harry. "I could have handled that." She said quietly.
"I know Daph, I just felt like shutting him up myself. I don't doubt you could have done it." Harry replied with that stupid lopsided grin of his, that made her heart skip a beat. Daphne smiled back at her friend and went back to the conversation the others were having about the transfiguration homework.