13. So the Truth is Revealed

HER COLD HANDS shook violently as her legs struggled to place each foot forward. Small white puffs of icy air appeared in front of her each time she exhaled. Her brown eyes darted skittishly to every point of her surroundings.

Lifting her head, Maggie shifted her gaze to the siblings whom were ahead of her by several paces. They were distinctively speaking lowly in a language foreign to her. Their tones had become heated and argumentative as sharp glares were exchanged between the two.

The younger sibling, Katya, paused to look over her shoulder to check if Maggie was keeping up with them. She flashed a small, reassuring smile when she caught her gaze.

Maggie's eyes cast down to the wet soil she stepped on, her mind still reeling over the obscure events and wondering if the initial shock of her uncanny situation would ever pass.

Several questions ran ramped in her exhausted mind as she analysed all the things she had witnessed. Things that should have been impossible.

Just envisioning the grey wolf morphing into a human being – into Emmett – truly rendered her speechless.

Remembering the echoes of bones snapping, reconstructing and animal hair retracting into bare, human flesh made her skin crawl and body stiff with fear. She felt as if she was living inside a horrible nightmare; one that would not end.

Now she truly knew Emmett was a monster.

To make things worse, she had strong suspicions her two Russian saviours before her were not normal; and she had this awful gut feeling that Emmett was not gone.

As Maggie remained captured in her rowdy thoughts, unbeknownst to her, Katya and Luka had halted their discussion once they realised she had slowed down considerably. Maggie's heartbeat quickened into an irregular rate and breathing shallow as the cold and fear gripped her.

Feeling a sudden rush of dizziness and dark spots blurring Maggie's vision, she stumbled blindly over a tree root and collapsed to the ground.

She barely registered the pain coming from her hands where superficial cuts appeared from the small stones beneath her. Maggie was justifiably exhausted and wished for the sweet bliss of sleep.

Maggie began to tumble but with Katya's quick reflexes, she caught Maggie and swiftly pulled her up to her feet again. Maggie could feel a light sheen of sweat form on her face. Her weak legs shook from fatigue, lack of nutrition and trauma.

She felt a faintness fall upon her like a sudden tidal wave and then went limp in Katya's arms. She was quickly swallowed by unconsciousness, grateful for some momentary relief from the outside world.

#

Maggie eyes opened widely as she jolted up awake. Her surroundings became clear as her vision finally focused. She looked around and soon realised she was in a dark, empty tent.

She had woken herself up from the tortured sobs that escaped her lips from the dream of grotesque visions of wolves attacking her in a burning home. Her home.

The flap of the simplistic tent suddenly flipped open.

With alarm, she scrambled up to a sitting position, but Maggie's body relaxed slightly when the person appeared at the entrance of the tent – Katya.

For the first time Maggie really looked at her. She realised that her auburn hair had natural light brown and gold hues intertwined in the thick locks that went past her chest. Her sharp angular face made her look effortlessly deadly and her piercing brown eyes held a mysterious and lethal glint. However, it was the warmth and care radiating from her that gave Maggie odd comfort.