03. Absence of the Townspeople

IT WAS BEYOND freezing.

The glacial winds made the temperature feel sub-zero and even though it was typical conditions, it did not subdue the grumpiness that followed from getting numb feet and blue lips.

To keep her mind off the relentless weather, she chose to admire the scenery. It was oddly enchanting – in a kind of deadly way.

Maggie cast her eyes to her right, staring at the Wolverton Falls forest.

The tall pine branches swayed in the wind, the dark leaves and weaving vines entangled the tree trunks. She could see the dense, green undergrowth, the narrow and twisting animal trails and the darkness oozing from the depths of the forest.

She made a promise to herself, right there and then, that she would never enter that forest and its lurking inhabitants.

Maggie shivered before glancing to her left.

There were rows of dull, gloomy houses with unopened curtains and lifeless front yards. Not a single noise emitted from the homes and no light illuminated inside or out. Maggie vaguely wondered if she would even make friends in the silent town.

She shook her head, that was unlikely due to her reclusive nature.

Walking ten minutes further into town, a small but sturdy grocery store soon came into her line of sight. Maggie entered it cautiously and a ring of bell chimed as she did; notifying her entrance. She pulled down her blue hoodie that was under her coat, removed her mittens as her curious eyes observed the store.

She nearly flinched when she realised a man, with a crooked nose and thinning blonde hair, stared blankly at her. Maggie turned around awkwardly, pretending she had not seen him.

There was no-one else visible in the store, so Maggie picked up some baskets and began collecting products.

Twenty minutes later, Maggie was getting the last of her things.

As she reached for a cereal box, she felt an icy glare burning from behind her. Maggie angled her head slightly and realised it was still the same man. He hadn't moved from the spot he had been standing in the entire time she's been here.

Feeling unnerved by the stranger, Maggie decided to speak up, "Can I help you?"

When the man said nothing, she rolled her eyes and tried to pretend she was totally not getting freaked out by his beady, unwavering eyes.

As Maggie gathered everything, she placed the two full metal baskets on the counter and waited for the absent cashier.

Unbeknownst to her, the middle-aged man had silently approached her. The footsteps as quiet as the smallest whisper.

Startled by his sudden appearance, Maggie took a step back and gulped audibly.

"Run away!" The man hissed through his gritted yellow stained teeth, his feral expression and wild hair gave him a look of lunacy.

Her eyes widened as she gawked at him, "Excuse me?"

"Run away," He repeated, his widening eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. His foul breath fanned her face when he stepped forward, "Run away before they get you," His chilling voice made her entire body freeze.

Maggie's back pressed painfully against the cool, solid bench as her hands gripped the edges tightly, "What? Who gets me?"

Maggie was flabbergasted. Flashes of the ominous shadow from the morning suddenly entered her mind.

His eyes widened further as he whispered quietly, looking around as if he was being watched, "The wolves,"

He then began chanting the words over and over; like it triggered something in his unstable mind. His fingers moved to grip what was left of his hair. He paced the checked floor below and let out incomprehensible murmurs.