15. Adjusting to New Discoveries

EACH CONCEPT OF the truth that unfolded felt like a sharp, unyielding stab to her abdomen, puncturing her lungs with realisation that there were more mysteries in the world then she could have ever imagined.

Maggie couldn't even begin to comprehend what lengths people like Katya and Luka would have to go to so that their secrets would remain completely undetected. Like a smoke screen – just blurry and indistinguishable.

And as if the modern world didn't have enough complications already.

Like the old saying goes, ignorance is bliss. In Maggie's case, she wished she never moved to a forsaken town like Wolverton Falls – which just happened to be crawling with supernatural beings and mythical monsters.

There were still so many questions, but with such little time and her emotions in shambles, Maggie was downright speechless. Emmett was still alive.

"Maggie?"

Her head snapped up in response to the softly spoken word that hinted Katya's identifiable Russian accent.

"I'm sorry, I just –" Her apology trailed off. Her open palm moved to her temple and her fingers rubbed small circles in a fruitless act to ease her growing headache. "I need a minute."

When Maggie tried to stand, Katya's brown eyes widened fractionally. "Wait," She glanced at her silent brother before motioning her hand to her to sit back down, "You need to stay here and talk."

Maggie's brows furrowed together. "Talk?" She repeated.

There was a pause of hesitation before Katya clarified for her, "About what happened – at the cabin."

Sucking in a sharp breath, Maggie's frown deepened, and eyes instantly cast down to her lap. Her slender fingers idly played with the frayed material of the heavy jacket that swarmed around her.

"I don't think I can." She finally answered, looking away and averting her gaze to the dark forest that enveloped the camp.

The wind ruthlessly howled. Nature's force carried the fallen, trampled leaves, twirling them in the air and reminding every soul how formidable and unpredictable weather in Alaska could be.

Maggie realised that the night was slowly transforming into dawn.

The canopy of radiant stars slowly dulled into mere flickers of light as the sky faded into a supple, indigo hue expanding over the top of the forest line. Small slivers of the sun's warm rays seeped through the treetops, filtering in a soft glow of yellow.

Her eyes moved back up to the two siblings, her hands stilling. "I just don't know how," Maggie mumbled again after some time. Her eyelids were beginning to flutter slightly as her head ached dully in mild pain. Her fingers clenched the material under her palms, her gaze becoming distracted.

However, Katya's brown-eyed stare pulled Maggie back into reality when she vaguely sensed intensity pinpointed toward her. They were intent and prepared to listen, but Maggie wasn't ready to share specific details of the cabin and Emmett.

She could barely even think about it herself.

"I – I want to know more about lycanthropes." The last word felt strange coming out; it was foreign and one she never thought she would say aloud for a second time.

"No."

The singular assertive syllable caused both girls' heads to snap to Luka's direction. "She has heard enough. She knows our secret." His dark, dangerous eyes glanced at her making her internally wince before he looked back to his sister. "She should not know."