Chapter Thirty Five

It's light when he wakes up. Sunlight streaming in from the windows whose curtains were never drawn in the early hours of the morning. He's warm is the other thing he notices, more so than usual and there's a heavy weight pressing him into the mattress. Knowing that today is his last full day they all have off he doesn't plan on doing much else than riding himself of the slight headache he's awoken too and staying tucked up in bed, perhaps watching a movie or two and calling his mum. He doesn't flinch when whatever is draped over his waist moves ever so slightly and the hold around him consequently tightens.

Content to remain in bed for a while longer he's about to drift off to sleep again when something behind him moves, much more notably than before as his eyes shoot open in surprise. The duvet is still up around his mid chest, but it doesn't stop the slight gap which shows the forearm tucked tightly across his abdomen.

"Fuck." He whispers, mind racing to think what on earth happened last night until suddenly it all clicks and he whirls around to find Louis, still fast asleep behind him.

His mind stops panicking the second he takes in Louis' relaxed face, hair falling messily across his face but it doesn't do anything to lessen the beating of his heart. There's a moment when he thinks Louis is about to wake up until he nuzzles further down in the pillow and sighs deeply.

He needs to get out of bed, is the next logical thought that enters his brain. Having Louis here in his bed, arm previously wound around him and pressing close to him is not going to win him any favours with Louis if he were to wake up anytime soon and certainly doesn't help his own slight problem he's just now realising.

Natural. He thinks, it's natural.

Moving as quietly as possible he swings his legs over the side of the bed. His headache surprisingly mild considering how much he'd had to drink last night and figures it must be the painkillers Louis had given him which was preventing any current trips to the bathroom floor in front of a toilet.

He shuts the door quietly behind him and aims for the kitchen. Barely comprehending his actions as he flicks on the lights and begins making two cups of tea.

He remembers last night, which he can't decide whether that's a blessing or a curse considering how he'd practically fallen all over Louis. After witnessing him in the club so comfortably close to that other man, which even now, mostly sober and clearheaded, sends a spark of jealously through him. He needs a moment to himself before Louis wakes up and he has to face him. He wants to talk though; this time really wants to understand where they stand with each other. After all their little talks they've had, not excluding perhaps the most prominent one currently in his mind of last week in this very kitchen when Louis had told him he wants to come out when his contract is up, they definitely need to talk.

Making his way back up to his bedroom, this time with two cups of steaming tea in his hands, he pauses just outside the door, needing one last moment to clear his thoughts. He'd swallowed two more painkillers in the kitchen to help fight off the last remnants of his headache, hoping they'll be enough.

Louis is awake and leaning against the headboard as he wanders in through the door, closing it softly behind him. Taking a moment to glance over Louis now he's awake, despite the fact they'd spent several nights sleeping together in PortMeirion, it's still a sight to see Louis back in his own, real bed. They'd been this way for years, the yearning he'd felt since those times racing back to him now that he's actually here in his own home.

"Thanks." Louis mutters as he passes him the tea and perches vicariously at the end of the bed, feet planted firmly on the floor.

            "I'm sorry about last night."