Chapter Nine

January 15th

It was late, and he was cold, wet and tired. He had three days before the Britt Awards, and he was still yet to decide who of the boys he was going to ask to accompany him. He'd gone over it with Jeff, and Amanda, both thinking that Gemma's idea of taking one of the boys as a great idea. One that would certainly stir up interest. Of course his heart was practically begging him to ask Louis, he'd been the one to say they should try become friends again anyway! But his brain had always stopped him before he tried to call. It was too soon, or was it? Louis wouldn't want to come, it would spark up too much interest, and maybe not the right kind at that. There was still far too many Larry Stylinson shippers out there, and he knew the fans support of the two of them as a romantic couple was still flourishing. His lyrics in Fine Line hadn't exactly tried to conceal his heartache.

But maybe it would be good, the publicity of them being seen together, attending an awards show that Harry was set to perform at. He hadn't seen Louis since he'd left Liam's a week ago, but they'd at least texted one another on the odd occasion. Even twice outside of the group chat with the rest of the lads when Louis had sent him a photo of Harry's vinyl in a store. The image soon after followed by a short video of Louis actually buying it.

Harry had had to stop and take several deep breathes when he'd received that video, sitting outside in a quiet café with Mitch and Sarah at the time but had quickly sent back; 'I know some people and could even scrounge up a signed copy you know...'

Louis' reply had come ten minutes later; 'Heard the artist is a bit of a tosser ;)'

Thankfully, by that time he'd said his goodbyes to Sarah and Mitch and was safely back in his car so he'd felt slightly better when he'd scoffed at the reply with a certain fondness he tried not to read too much into and had driven promptly home.

He'd made himself go for a run earlier, returning home and throwing himself under the hot water of his shower had been a welcome reprieve from the pouring rain he'd been faced with. It would be just his luck to come down with a cold three days before a live show.

With that in mind, he stepped out of the shower, quickly throwing on some comfortable clothes and headed downstairs to make himself a tea. He'd not yet managed to finish a full cup since that day at Louis' house and he was now convinced that his mind had put up a mental barrier against the act, but still, a cup of tea was a comforting idea.

Flicking on the kettle he leaned back against his kitchen bench, pulling his phone out from where he'd stuffed it into the joggers pocket.

'Decided yet or..." Read the message from Jeff and Harry groaned at the thought. Right, chose a bandmate.

He thought about just calling Niall, he'd certainly be up for it and had always been good value at award shows. Liam would be the most supportive, the wise hand of the group and would be a steady force at his side all night. Then again, despite the distance the past few years had brought between he and Zayn, the man would also make a statement. Seeing the two 'ex' bandmates attend the show together. Maybe it would be even more scandalous for Harry to turn up with Zayn than it would be with Louis.

He didn't give himself a moment longer to think it over, opening his contacts he clicked on the name and waited with baited breath for the line to connect.

"Hello?" A calm voice answered and Harry's restless movements halted at the voice.

            "Zayn?"

"Oh, hi Harry."

            "What are you doing answering Louis' phone?" He asks instead of a greeting.

"Oh, I've been at his house for the past couple hours, going over some songs. He's just in the kitchen hold on a second!"

            "Wait Zayn!" Harry called into the receiver but apparently Zayn had lowered the phone from his ear and his cry went unanswered. There was a brief moment where scuffle and distant voices sounded through the phone before,

"Harry?"

And, that was Louis.

            "Uhh hi, how are you?" Harry spluttered and mentally face palmed at his awkward address.

"Fine, is something wrong?" Louis asks and honestly what the fuck was Harry doing.

            "Yeah, everything's good I actually wanted to ask you something. Well I talked it over with Jeff and Amanda actually and they think it's a really good idea, before the tour announcement you know, and your album release, and you don't have to agree or anything but I just..."

"Harry." Louis cuts him off blankly. "First, I don't think I've ever heard you talk so fast. Second, it's me, whatever you want to ask just spit it out."

            "Course yeah right. Uhh, well I'm performing at the Brits in three days, Gemma was meant to be coming with me, but she has a wedding and I suppose I wondered whether you would accompany me instead? You know, publicity and that..."

"You want me to come with you to the Brit Awards?" Louis asks after a painful long three seconds of silence.

            "Yeah..."

"Ok. Sure, I'll come."

            "I don't want to force you or make you feel as if you have to come, I just... well you said we should try being friends again and I thought that this would be a good chance to spend some time together and also our managers think it will spark a lot of public interest, but mainly I just..." He firmly stops himself from carrying on that sentence, I just want you to be with one who comes with me because we never could have done this before. "Want a familiar face there with me you know?"

"It's not a problem Harry, honestly. Think we both know these things are far more tolerable with someone else there."

            "Yeah," He says with a slight chuckle, "Very true."

"You not gonna ask me to wear a bright pink Gucci suit though are you, because I'm afraid that's where I draw the line." Louis continues and Harry barks a laugh at the thought.

            "Certainly not, though I'm sure I could arrange one for you."

"Prick." Louis replies and Harry can almost see his smile. It's hard to imagine in this moment that they'd spent four years apart from one another. They'd used to tease each other about the others fashion sense, the bickering between them playful and light and had more often than not ended with both of them with no clothes, tangled together under the sheets. But that was in the past.

            "Alright, well I'll send you the details, leave you to get back to your evening with Zayn but Louis?" He says and waits for the man on the other end of the phone to hum in response, "Thank you, for this."

"Of course Haz, anytime."

Harry's very glad in that moment that he has the solid weight of the kitchen bench at his back as his legs threaten to give out.