34 | The Puppeteer of All Things

HISTORY HAD ITS eyes on her.

It knew that she was otherworldly. Inexplicably different. Untameably powerful. Davina Malfoy was an enigma in any world she marched into, for she was neither a sinner or saint, nor was she an angel or devil. She was whatever she wanted to be, and quite the opposite. Something in her blood counteracted any conscious decision her brilliant mind made to craft a fulmination that questioned everything about who she was and what she wanted. Perhaps it was that she was unpredictable and unafraid -- two qualities that, when they coincide, lead to powerful things no matter whether they are good or bad. No matter how Davina died -- when, how, or on what side -- it was clear that she would make her mark on the world.

Every decision she made and the action she took shifted the outcomes of history. It was why she couldn't help the smirk that reached her face every time she decided to act or not to act -- she knew that she was in complete control of it in the grand scheme of things, and it was the most intoxicating, dangerous power anyone could ever wield. The Dark Lord wanted power over people and blood purity, but that meant nothing to his legacy in the long run -- legacies rarely survive time, unless they are woven into time itself.

From the day that Davina awoke from her torture at the hands of the Dark Lord, Draco Malfoy that his sister had changed. She was no longer truly sane. There was just something about the glint in her icy eyes that sent a chill through his body every time; that told him his sister was torn between light and darkness for so long that she now existed in her own enigmatic world of grays. Her hands no longer shook and her body no longer tensed when she committed unspeakable acts; the Unforgivables always slipped from her lips a lot easier than her tortured screams ever did. They knew she was a fighter, a survivor. They just never imagined she'd become so fortified to the outside world that her only worthy opponent was herself. 

Time had changed Draco, as well. In the months that had passed since Dumbeldore's death and the subsequent takeover of Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic, he had become the hardened, ruthless deatheater that Davina secretly always knew he was capable of becoming. Bellatrix and Snape held the Dark Lord's second and third-in-command positions respectively, but besides them, Davina and Draco had quickly become part of the innermost circle -- the Dark Lord's young, promising favorites. 

Blaise and Pansy barely recognized him anymore. He was still the same arrogant, brooding Draco, but without all of the talk and showing off. In fact, he didn't have much to say these days outside of giving orders, taking war tactics, and the occasional sly quip. He and Theo were closer than ever now -- the best of friends, thick as thieves, and with a silent pact to always have each other's backs, and to stand by Davina to the very dark end. No one adored or admired Davina as much as those two men did, and they had finally aired out all of their grievances once she made the sacrifice she had on Draco's behalf. Now, the three of them were unstoppable. 

The group of former Slytherins had taken part in a raid in the Ministry on the night of Harry Potter's seventeenth birthday. It was a brilliant coup d'etat orchestrated by Davina and Draco so that they could take advantage of the weaknesses of the branches of the Ministry still standing -- the Auror Office and the Wizengamot -- while the most dedicated Order members were off protecting Harry Potter in his transport from his Muggle home in Little Whinging. The Dark Lord was on an enraged rampage when he and his deatheaters returned empty-handed, but the news that the Ministry was finally his without question softened the blow. While the other deatheaters were out doing scut work, Davina and her crew were given the night off the next night. 

And that just simply wouldn't work.

Davina sent everyone out of the house that night. Blaise and Pansy left to gather some more potion supplies to stock their stash. Draco headed off to a pub, probably to snag a girl for a fun time -- he'd been doing that a lot lately. Theo didn't make his plans known, but Davina didn't mind. They all needed some semblance of privacy and secrecy once in a while. As long as they were out of the way, she didn't care if they had an orgy in the middle of the fucking ministry. Tonight was important. Tonight was the night that she would start Potter and his friends on their quest for the Horcruxes -- and she would start by handing the first one over.