12 | An Impending Reckoning

DAVINA SPENT HOURS upon hours training and practicing with William. They moved their sessions to the drawing-room where there was more space. Mariella, William's wife, brought them a tray of sandwiches around three o'clock, and Gideon interrupted their session to feast on some. William relented so that they could all sit down and eat lunch together. When everyone was seated, Davina looked to Mariella with a warm smile.

"Thank you for the lunch, Mrs. Peverell," She began, "And for letting me steal William for these sessions."

Mariella smiled back at her, but there was something behind her smile that piqued Davina's interest. "It's no problem, dear. I hope you're making progress."

Across the table from her, William nodded. "We've made a lot of progress in such a short amount of time, actually. I'm very happy with it."

"I'm surprised you're not sick of him yet," Gideon muttered, chomping down on his sandwich.

Davina turned to him with a humorous glint in her eyes. "Why would I be?"

William straightened his posture as, in good humor, he silently dared his son to answer the question. Mariella also wore a funny expression on her face. Gideon, however, seemed unaffected by their daring faces and merely grinned at Davina.

"Let's just say he's an acquired taste."

Davina took her water goblet and sipped at it as she stared at him with gleaming eyes. "As am I."

"Oh, that I know." He grinned, jabbing a finger in the air at her. "Everyone I've spoken to has many things to say about you. There's not a single person in the Order or Hogwarts alumnae who doesn't know your name."

Across the table, Davina paled and her mouth ran dry. She was suddenly reminded of the first night she was introduced to the members of the Order and received a not-so-pleasant welcome upon recognizing her. She was the eldest child of Lucius Malfoy, after all, and he was one of their greatest enemies. The Weasleys had an especially sour relationship with him. Although most of them had gotten past their initial impressions of her, Davina wasn't foolish enough to think that they didn't still harbor those apprehensive feelings in the recesses of their minds. 

Gideon, realizing the implications of his words, spluttered and shook his head. "Oh god, I did it again. Sorry. I should've been more clear. I mean, you had a reputation but a lot of people had pretty good things to say about it. I mean, I've been told that you were an avenging angel in Hogwarts during your time there. You sucker-punched some kid for bullying Xenophillius Lovegood's little girl, right? And you helped Harry Potter a few times. I did also hear that you have quite a colorful vocabulary with both kids and students."

Davina smiled gingerly. "I have a colorful vocabulary with everyone."

"That, I've noticed." William chuckled, but he could not hide his perceptive expression as he regarded her with empathetic curiosity. "You must get that a lot with your name."

She shrugged. "I've learned to adapt a think skin when it comes to people's passive judgments of me based on the Malfoy name. The worst of it is trying to escape who people think I am and becoming who I want to be without it."

"I think you're doing a pretty good job of it." Gideon shrugged.

"Too bad it won't stay that way." She muttered. 

William's eyes darkened with concern. "What do you mean by that?"

Before Davina could try to weasel her way out of answering the question, the echo of the doorknocker being dropped against the heavy front doors resonated throughout the first floor. The Peverell family exchanged confused looks. 

Davina stood from her chair. "Are you expecting someone?"

William stood shortly thereafter, followed by Gideon. He looked to his son. "Take Davina upstairs. Don't come down unless I tell you to and don't let yourselves be seen."