11 | The Double Agents

DAVINA RETURNED TO Hogwarts sooner than she expected, but not in the way she hoped that she would. Dumbledore requested to meet with her exactly two weeks after she visited William Peverell to seek help with her curse. They had two more meetings since then in which they discussed the scope of her ability thus far and what it could become if she practiced. She was meant to meet with Dumbledore after curfew that night, so when she and Sirius finished their dinner, he saw her off in the living room where she used the Floo Network. 

"The Headmaster's Office at Hogwarts." She said aloud, throwing the floo powder down at her feet with a loud spark and puff of smoke. 

Green flames erupted around her, licking her skin like harmless splashes of warm water. She lurched up and around, and within a mere moment she was emerging from the massive fireplace in Dumbledore's circular office. 

It was a large, peculiar office settled in the Headmaster's Tower. It was a large and beautifully peculiar room with whizzing trinkets on shelves and whispering portraits of previous headmasters hanging all over the walls above her head. Dumbledore was seated calmly behind his large, claw-foot desk. Beside him stood Severus Snape. 

Davina brushed off her jeans and shook her hair of ash. "Dumbledore. Severus. Have any of the new first years proven to be just as trying as I was yet?"

Snape clasped his hands together. "I cannot imagine that any student could ever surmount to the unruliness you brought with you as a student."

"It's a shame you won't get to witness what my unruliness looks like when I'm not trying to behave." She grinned at him and in the flickering firelight, she thought that she almost saw his lips twitch. She turned her gaze to Dumbledore. His eyes twinkled with hidden knowledge as he looked at her. "I know you didn't ask me here to talk about my wonderful student track record."

"No, we did not. I summoned you here tonight, Davina, because I think you know better than most that we have a war at our heels and it's going to hit closer to home for some. I know that you have begun training with William Peverell to hone your unique ability through the use of Legilimens. As it so happens, Severus is particularly gifted at both Legilimency and Occulmency."

"Yes, I know this already." Upon seeing the inquisitive expression on Dumbledore's face and the doubt flicker in Severus's dark eyes, she continued, "You were among the finest deatheaters there ever were in the Dark Lord's armistice. My father used to tell me stories about you. He revered you, and my father seldom admits his respect and admiration for anyone. Although we have our difference, Headmaster, I know you're not a stupid man. You clearly hold Severus here to a very high regard. Both sides could not have revered a man to such a high degree. You're a double agent and you have been since you were employed at Hogwarts."

Snape peered down at Dumbledore. "You didn't tell me how much she knew, Albus."

Dumbledore's lips twitched. "I didn't know myself, Severus. But I admit that I'm quite relieved to see how perceptive you are, Davina. It reassures me in my intention to include you in this extremely delicate quest."

Davina walked up the steps and onto the platform where the men stood. She sat down in one of the armchairs in front of the desk and crossed her legs. 

"The first thing that you must know, Davina, is that only the three of us know about what I'm about to disclose to you. None of it can leave this room."

"If it means anything to you, you have my word."

Dumbledore smiled. "It means a great deal to me, actually. Shall we begin?"

Davina beckoned for them to speak and sat back in her chair. She knew that this day would come when Dumbledore enlisted herself in a matter private from the rest of the Order. She was the daughter of a deatheater, after all, and she had a rare gift at her disposal. She was an invaluable witch for their cause. It was why Dumbledore had her released from the asylum. It was only a matter of time before he came to collect on his debt.